Coil in Mercedes 180

I have had power loss and backfiring in my car the last month, and having taken it to a garage they have replaced the plugs( which obviously were not changed at the last Merc service) and it was obvious one had been tracking for quite a while. While it has improved the performance, it is still not quite right. Less backfiring , but still there, especially at low revs when trying to accelerate, and a definate loss of power when trying to accelerate from low revs. High speed travelling seems to be fine, once on the moterway all if great. So Could the tracking have damaged the coil?, and if so is it easy to replace one.

toad

Reply to
toadoftoadhall

I would do all the basic checkup before doing more major works... first... how is your timing? What is the condition of the spark plug wires... you need to use a ohmmeter to measure each wire... they should be between 1000 and 1300... and all wires should be near each other except the ignition coil wire.

Take out your distributor cap... clean the brass contacts inside where there is black marks... clean it until you see brass again... same for the rotor... on the edge and the center.

Run fuel injection cleaner for one tank... and then run Marvel Mystery Oil on the second tank (read label for amount to put in).

Reply to
Tiger

Tricky on a C180, they don't have one...

Reply to
the guvnor

Ahh.... I was assuming he made a typo error on 180... as in 190E.

Reply to
Tiger

Still it could be a 180 from the 1950s in which case it would have a cap.

Reply to
the guvnor

Sorry for any confusion, its a S reg, 1998, petrol C180, in the UK. No D-cap.

Initially wondered if the tracking could have damaged the coil, is this possible?

Are they easy to remove and replace?

Reply to
toadoftoadhall

You could swap the two coils over, and see if the misfire is still on the same cylinder, they only bolt onto inlet manifold.

Reply to
the guvnor

Never mind. Just share my experience. That kind of loss power sounds like the air leak after the air mass sensor. Check all the duct first, if there is a leak it causes intermittently loss of power.

Cheers Keith

"the guvnor" news:97h_c.71$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
admin

The guy at the garage sprayed around the engine while it was running, and found no air leak. The spray enters the leak and runs the engine quicker and so can detect where the leak would be, or so he said.

Reply to
toadoftoadhall

I don't know how the guy could find out there was a leak on the air inlet duct of a normal aspired (non turbo or supercharged) engine by spraying some kind of funny powder. What you need to do is to do it yourself: check the throttle body for any broken or deformed duct. You may also loose the duct clamp and remove the ducting for inspection.

This kind of power loss happens on most older W202 1993-1995. BTW could you specify what vehicle you have. 190E? or C180

Cheers :) Keith

"toadoftoadhall" news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com ...

Reply to
admin

Also this kind of power loss is quite common after changing spark plugs, because in order to access the spark plug cover, the ducting on top of the engine must be undone first. Poor workmanship contributes this kind of power loss and gave me 3 easy jobs (piece of cake) in last year.

Cheers Keith :) E14 4NS London

"admin" news:w9Y_c.22488$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xtra.co.nz ...

Reply to
admin

Yes, you can detect leak by spraying... he most likely sprayed carburator cleaner... if the leak is pretty bad, the engne will stumble with carburator cleaner.

Reply to
Tiger