7/16 Wheel studs? Help!

I have a '69 Pontiac GTO, on which I have snapped a couple of wheel studs and need to replace them.

I need 7/16x20 thread, 0.48" knurled shoulder, length from under head 2 inches (or more).

I am having real trouble finding any. Closest I have got so far is Hauser Race Cars, but unfortunately they don't have any in stock, and won't be getting any for a couple of weeks.

Help!

Thanks, Simon

Reply to
Simon

Simon ( snipped-for-privacy@null.null) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You may be best trying one of the American newsgroups. Mebbe alt.autos.pontiac?

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks. I should have been a bit clearer. The studs are readily available in the USA, but I would like to buy them from the UK if possible, as I want them on my car asap. (car is on axle stands, with no studs at the moment)

7/16 studs were/ are used on other GM cars too, including Chevys, but they are normally shorter than 2 inches... more like 1 1/4

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
Simon

saying

Vauxhall used 7/16" UNF on the Viva and FD Victor -- very likely a standard GM part 7/16" UNF also found on Rootes and Ford pre metric on the Escort/Cortina/Capri --- try sombody like Yukspeed for various length ford wheel studs

Reply to
dilbert

seems the Ford studs have a 0.51" (or bigger than 0.48 anyway) knurled shoulder on them... too big unfortunately. The bloke at Yukspeed was very friendly though.

Thanks, Simon

Reply to
Simon

7/16ths UNF was a common size. Have you tried an old established motor factor who might have NOS? My first stop would be Cannon's in Clapham.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

In news: snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk, Dave Plowman decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Try ringing Ian @ Limospares.com, or e-mithering him. He's a bit handy with obscure bits.. Tell him Pete from Aigburth recommended ya.

Reply to
Pete M

If thats the same as a 68 Thunderbird, then I have some you can borrow whilst waiting for others to come in.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately it seems that the Ford studs are probably 1/2" threads, and a .68" knurled shoulder.

When the limit slip on the diff finally bites the dust, I think I am going to get a whole new rear-end, with more readily available parts.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
Simon

Go to any hardware suppliers (by hardware I mean nuts and bolts). Tell them the requirements you need and they should have some.

Reply to
Conor

... I thought that too, but both the hardware shops I talked too (both very good shops) "don't do that kind of thing".

Maybe they got frightened by the desciption "wheel stud", but I wouldn't have thought so.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
Simon

What's wrong with you lot and the inability to use Google ?

First hit on "car wheel studs" was

£1 each for 7/16" x 55mm

Stop wasting bandwidth and use the bloody internet. That's what it's there for.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Yes, I found their website using Google, and I called them yesterday. Pretty sure they were one of the many companies that had 7/16.20 but with a knurled shoulder bigger than the 0.48" I need... Either that or they didn't answer the phone... I did call every company I would normally use, and a whole load I found with Google _before_ posting here.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
Simon

For wheel studs? Have you ever seen one?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

From Merlin Motorsport. The guy said they are a stock part for a Ford Cortina.

I'll find out tomorrow if they are actually the right part.

Thanks for all the help, Simon

Reply to
Simon

The length of knurled shoulder shouldn't be a major issue as long as the threaded portion is fully within the wheel itself and the nut screws on fully. That sort of thing tends to be fairly standard so maybe what they offer would actually do you.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

It's the diameter of the knurled bit that is .48, not the length... That wasn't at all clear from my post. Sorry.

I have hopefully found a supply for the studs now... will see for sure tomorrow.

Thanks, Simon

Reply to
Simon

I don't know what size of shop it was. In Hull there's a bloody large one and I've yet to find something they don't have.

Reply to
Conor

Perhaps you weren't looking hard enough :-)

Reply to
Allan Bennett