Auto Box Volvo Amazon Problems

Folks,

My 1966 Amazon has started to cut out when I lift off the power quickly. All has been fine with the car recently, but this has just started in the last 2 weeks or so.

It seems as if lifting off is stalling the engine, which makes me wonder if there's an issue with the autobox hampering engine speed when I lift.

'box is a Borg Warner (35 - I believe - 3 speed anyway) So all suggestions welcome please.

Thanks EricR

Reply to
EricR

Highly unlikely to be anything to do with the transmission the BW35 is a relatively simple tough very reliable bit of kit when coupled to engines under 2 litres.

(1) Check for vacumn leaks at the carb flanges, inlet manifold, advance-retard and servo pipe work. (2) From memory this model has either SU or Stromberg CD carb(s) do the usual checks, check if the carb pistons are falling freely -- landing with a distinct "click", check for flooding of the float chamber and on Stromberg types renew the carb diaphragm. It is important to use a thin (10w/40 or thinner) grade of engine oil in the carb dampers or as an alternative use auto-transmission fluid, motorcycle fork oil or hydraulic jack oil are also suitable. (3) Check the points condition and gap and that the adavance-retard mechanisms are working freely and not sticking. (4) The check the wiring athe distributer to the points and that the earth braid under the distributer base plate is intact and making a good connection. Also check the condensor is screwed down tightly to the base plate. (5) Idle speed -- the idle speed in neutral for a car with a BW35 is usually about 100 to 150 rpm higher than that for the equivalent manual transmision car -- it should be high enough to allow "D" or "R" to be engaged without stalling and the car to gently creep forward/backward when the handbrake is released.

If all above dosen't turn up anything check the usual plugs points, air, filter valve clearances and do a compression test.

Reply to
Captain Ahab

You can sometimes get a 'tie up' where a clutch doesn't disengage properly resulting in an apparent lack of power, but this is most noticeable when accelerating.

I'd say it's likely to be an engine only fault.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had the same prob like this on my old Morris Oxford Auto (B.W 35 same box)> It turned out to be running too weak, resetting the mixture done the trick, one thing I also found was if the A.T.F was low it could be abit funny I always had to check the A.T.F with the engine running ( i think may be that applys to most autos) it certainly made a diffrence with my car.

George

Reply to
George Weatherley