Bastards.

They wrote off a very respectable Zephyr MkII on 'The Royal' tonight. Not the usual cutaway where we find the car with 'steam' coming out of it and
covered in mud, but well and truly f**ked. The 'dead' lovey was only acting, but the car wasn't. Bastards.
--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They probably didn't. They usually use a real shed for the "dead" cars, with a quick tart-up.

Yup. But non low line Zephyrs ain't that expensive and the cost of tarting up a wreck to look ok is likely to exceed that. Oh - and finding one with the same interior as the one they used for the series would be difficult.
IMHO, they wrecked a good car.
--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

I agree that car lookd not too bad they normaly find one really on its last leg but taht looked like it still had a lot of good metal on it. ( i no its hard to tell on T.V but like u guys what i saw suggetsed it was too good for that) I have noticed with teh royal and heartbeat they tendto smash up the cars that are not are not going to cost alot to buy.
Seams very sad at times.
Is it me or dont both the programs seam to have a alotof car accidents for quite Yorkshire Villages in the 1960`s?? May be i am wrong as i wasnt about then!
All the best. George

I thought that, but a "shed" would crack (filler) and crumble (rust) on impact. This one bent, like good clean metal.
--
Regards, Chris (Please take out my car to reply by email)
----1961 Austin A40 Farina----1966 Triumph Herald Estate---

Ah, OK. It sounds like they probably did use a good 'un, then.
I didn't see it - it's the spin-off (never a good sign in the first place) from the unutterably dire Heartbeat, isn't it?
Still - at least it wasn't anything interesting. Only a Zephyr.
<hides>

I'd love to try one again. Happy memories as a kid of that steam engine torque - which I still loved after I'd actually (much later) driven one. And I still think they look gorgeous. Far better than equivalent BMC, Vauxhall or Roots type thingies. And arguably as good as the Jag MkII.
--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Off topic as usual.... well, there's a Zephyr connection....
In my yoof I used to make beer money at weekends by body repairing and spraying cars. One time a chap with a white Mk 3 Zephyr (Zodiac?) came in with a mild front three quarter shunt. Having ascertained that it was within my capabilities, i.e. nothing structural, no welding, just a bit of tin bashing, pudden and a blow over, I took it on.
Fun came when re-fitting the "pod" which holds the side light. IIRC it was held on by three screws, and you had to remove it to change the bulb.
Unfortunately I did the final fitting on a Sunday afternoon, after my usual choir practice at the Duke's Head with possibly a number of pints of Young's Ordinary on board. I painted the indentation on the wing behind the pod bright red, and with the aid of some Araldite affixed a set of dentures - front upper and lower deck, about six teeth in all - the pod still fitted perfectly and was duly mounted.
Wish I could have been present when the next person removed the pod to change the bulb.
Geoff MacK "The situation may be desperate, but fortunately never serious".

Depends what you like I suppose. I like the music and I like the cars, which make it worth watching.
--
Regards, Chris (Please take out my car to reply by email)
----1961 Austin A40 Farina----1966 Triumph Herald Estate---
declare:

like
place)
The only reasons I watch it too. But I'm intrigued...how does a show set in the 1960s last for thirteen years, when the 60s only lasted for ten? :o)
Del -- 'Life - loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it' If you want to e-mail, you'll have to remove YOURCLOTHES
Del The Obscure wrote:

For the same reason that M*A*S*H ran for several times longer than the Korean War :o)

Hi,
the series "MASH" lasted for longer than the Korean War.

--
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted,
and I won't be layed a hand on.

Better than most things on TV nowadays! Except Scrapheap challenge, that is one fantastic show.
-- Howard Rose 1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe http://www.howard81.co.uk/ (cars and email on website)
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:03:17 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

It was probably a tatty car that was tarted up, but I expect it was still something half decent and restorable :-(
-- Howard Rose 1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe http://www.howard81.co.uk/ (cars and email on website)
Howard Rose ( snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, I'm sure Dave would recognise a Zephyr.

Didn't see it, thank goodness. I hate the way some TV programmes trash old cars.
The one I did see that upset me was in Ballykissangel where the script required a decent Jowett Javelin to run downhill and into a quarry after the driver parked and got out. I am pretty sure that was a decent Jowett because when you heard it running, the exhaust sounded right. Bastards indeed!
Jim
Jim Warren ( snipped-for-privacy@OMITblueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They will have dubbed the engine soundtrack on afterwards. The car they trashed was probably a non-runner.
Seriously - they use the clubs and local classic dealers to source these cars, and they tend not to trash decent cars. Not to say it hasn't happened, but it certainly doesn't do as a rule.
I recall a few years ago an article in the Citroenian giving some "behind the scenes" info - a DS was driven into a ditch on one TV program - it looked *very* nice, and had been used in a lot of other scenes in the program.
Well, no.
Two good ones had been used for the exterior and interior shots, and one utter shed had been dragged out of a field and tarted over for that one shot. Afterwards, it was stripped for parts - which is all it was good for before. Very few usable bits were lost. Yet, on screen, it was UTTERLY convincing. Even if you knew, it was very difficult to tell.

Remember that notorious bit from Elderado years ago? Not a fan of the programme (honest) but I recall it being mentioned and seeing a clip. Rather than trash a bright yellow Renault Alpine sports they faked up a bright yellow fixed head TR7 to "look the same" !!! Haha! Dead funny to see the bits of MDF flying off at the moment of impact.
Don't think they conned anyone, and they removed a TR7 from the food chain!
Cue TR7 detractors and praisers!
--
Ken Davidson
DocDelete

In this case (The Royal) it had to be a decent car as it was shot wide to show the accident in all its glory. Actually far better done than faked ones, where the car sufferers little actual damage and can be repaired. And in no way was it a tarted up wreck - you'd have seen the filler etc come off as the car was damaged on near every panel.
--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I watched the programme and thought "how did they do that?". I didn't see broken glass flying around, which tells me that they must have removed it prior to filming. Neither did I see any oil, petrol, clutch/brake fluid or windscreen washer fluid being thrown around. Would the local council allow a complete car to be thrown off the end of the prom in this way? Would they have had to remove the engine, petrol tank, clutch/brake fluid containers before the stunt was performed? Now why didn't I video The Royal instead of watching it...? Ho hum... -Andy.