Dolomite sprint bits

Any other readers of this group have redundant dolomite sprint bits and pieces in their garage /loft? Body panels in particular of interest being a late 70's leyland product!!! Is there anything in the rumour that they changed their steel supplier around 1977 to an eastern bloc company that used a lot of scrap in the mix? I heard a story of a guy who went over a rover of that vintage with a magnifying glass and he could see small iron inclusions in the steel,he punched them out and filled with epoxy........ IS life too short or was that a labour of love or what!!

Reply to
Dave

In article , Dave writes

Not in that version, but it is true they changed steel suppliers several times in the '70s. In fact 1975 was the worst year - I think the steel was Spanish, and they hadn't invented Just In Time back then so it got stockpiled at the dock side both ends as well as at the panel pressing plant. Of course the panels then got stock piled at Speke (in the case of the Dolomite) before being assembled, then loaded on a lorry and taken to Canley...

I'm suspicious of that - even with a magnifying glass I doubt he'd see "small iron inclusions" through the paint. Even the feeble amount of paint BL used to use.

Reply to
Robert Pearce

On a related note:

Larkspeed have some Spax adjustables on clearance about =A325.

--=20 ________________________ Conor Turton conor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ICQ:31909763 ________________________

Reply to
Conor

Dave ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I've heard that one from several sources as a generic industry problem round that time - strikes or whatever causing shortages, and the eastern bloc were the only guys that could supply reliably, but it was poorly recycled crap - hence so few R/S/T plate cars of any type around.

Reply to
Adrian

A mate of mine has two Dolomite Sprints for sale. One has a good body, the other has a good engine which has been rebuilt. I'm not an expert in Dolomites but he says the two would make one good car, with the poor body panels on one being in good condition on the other. They're in Cheshire, if anyone is interested I can get a phone number.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike