Aluminum Oil Pan Ford Escape

Since the oil pan is aluminum, is there any certain extra care needed when re- tightneing the oil pan bolt? Eventually I will probably change oil myself only for the convenience of doing it when I want it done.

Reply to
msterspy

foctard its called a torque wrench

foctard

lmfao wanna beeeeeeeee

hurc ast

Reply to
promot

This was a valid question.

You don't need to insult others if you choose to answer. In fact, the person you are really insulting is yourself.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

All this brings up a good point that if you have an aluminum oil pan, you damn well better have the oil changed by someone who knows waht they are doing. I have heard some real horror stories coming from people who have gone to Jiffy Lube.

Reply to
msterspy

I have yet to see a mechanic using a torque wrench on a oil plug...Is anyone here using a torque wrench for this?

a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Fastload

Reply to
msterspy

Did your mechanic friend show you how to use his new tool?

Tell him to use his hand next time.

It must be new to him, or he would know by now that using it on an oil plug is a waste of time.

Reply to
sleepdog

f*ck boys aluminum has been used in oil pads gor years

ya focktards time to step into 2005 fock now ya tards wanna get out yer torque wrenches lmfao u go girls

hurc ast

Reply to
promot

What cars have used aluminum for oil pans for years? I have never owned one before the Escape. I have owned most GM cars in the past and now I have Fords. As far as I know, the GM cars all had steel or cast iron engine parts. Actually my 85 cutlass had an aluminum intake manifold, I think.

I remember the 74 Vega had an aluminum engine and was a lot of trouble.

A friend of mine showed me a piston from a Olds cutlass 403 in^3 and it appears to be an aluminum alloy.

Aluminum has a wt density of .098 lb/in^3 and steel is .286 lb/in^3. There is a definite mass advantage ot having a lighter piston, but the modulus of elasticity for steel (or cast iron) is 30x10^6 psi as opposed ot 10x10^6 psi for aluminum. The stiffness to mass ratio for steel is the same as that of aluminum, but the strength of hardened (and tempered) steel is way greater than that of aluminum.

I guess it has been decide by auto manufacturers that stiffness and strength is not important and mass is important?

How long will an aluminum engine last as oppised to cast iron.

Reply to
msterspy

you reallt are retarded race engines are aluminum as well as some old v6 from the 50s

old technology

hurc ast

Reply to
promot

Hurc: You really suck. Your identity will eventually be discovered and you will be pounded by everyone in this newsgroup. It is inevitable.

You are a shitty dog.

Reply to
msterspy

Sure race engines are aluminum, but they are not built to go 300k miles.

Keep it up Hurc, we will figure out who you really are.

Better yet, why don't you give us your real email adress and we can send you Christmas cards during the holidays. Wouldn't that be nice?

Reply to
msterspy

Here's a real shock for ya; they're making intake manifolds out of plastic now...

Porsche used that exact same technology in their engines and had little trouble with it. Never underestimate GMs ability to screw up a promising technology.

Ayup. Aluminum has been the material of choice for pistons for decades. On the other hand, I have a steel piston from a diesel engine on my work bench, (makes a dandy ashtray) it must have been replaced for a reason...

In he context of this thread, it isn't so. The cast aluminum oil pan will be much more rigid than the light gauge stamped sheet steel oil pan, more resistant to corrosion also. Around here, one can -reasonably- expect to get 6 years from a steel Ford oil pan before it rots out. FYI, you'd be hard pressed to find any "hardened" or "tempered" steel in any engine going back many years. The camshaft is about it, and it isn't all that hard and the hardness doesn't go very deep.

Absolutely, there are these pesky things called emissions regulations and fuel economy standards.

What type of aluminum and what type of cast iron? Kind of like asking 'how many bubbles are in a bar of soap' no?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Why do you let someone of no consequence control you?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

He/She/It doesn't control me. I would like to expose the person for everyones benefit.

I wonder what people l like HURC AST did before the internet was invented? Sick people. What a shame.

Reply to
msterspy

Your right, my Crown Vic has a plastic intake manifold. They tend to crack. That is why Ford extended the warranty on that part. I guess I never thought of what pistons and engine blocks were made ofnow a days . I suppose it doesn't matter as long as you get some life out of the parts.

I am not particulraly happy with the fact that my ball joints and tie rods failed on my 98 Crown Vic so early. The car has 107,000 miles but I do know that these parts failed at about 40,000 miles. I just lived with lousey handling for a couple of years. I couldn't put my finger on the problem until I jacked up the car and found loose front end.

The local state inspection did not pick up (or inspect) tihs problem.

This is not proof that FORD is crap as shit for brains HURC has indicated.

I have owned other non FORD brands that failed premature such as the Crown Vic.

Still virtually all cop cars are Crown Vics. They gotta have some reliablity for that reason don't they?

Maybe the cops don't care about handleablitly?

msterspy

If you wish to call someone "retarded" you should learn to spell "really."

The Ford Pinto was alluminum (the block only). The Ford Probe and the Taurus SHO engines were also aluminum. Some other engines made for Ford by Asian car makers were also aluminum.

Actually, somoe of the technology that went into making the Duratec, like better alloys and better machining is quite new.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well, I've seen more than one smoking Porsche....

And don't you suppose that the average Porsche owner takes better care of his car than the average Vega owner?

Anybody that spends big bucks on a Porsche is not likely to admit they made a mistake. It was pretty easy to admit you made a mistake when you bought a Vega (even if it was "Car of the Year"). If you overheated your Vega and cooked the block, you blamed GM. If you overheated your Porsche and cooked the block, well Herr Schmidt probably beat you to death....

If only 10% of the Vega owners had problems in the 70's, that would still be more problem cars than 100% of contemporary Porsches.

How come nobody mentions the thousand of Honda Civics that burned oil at incredible rates in the early 70's? Why is the Vega the poster child for bad ideas? How about the thousands of Corollas that literally melted away from rust? Even in the relatively benign climate of North Carolina, you could hear early 70's Toyotas, Datsuns, and Hondsa rusting away. My 280Z rusted like there was no tomorrow. Ditto for my Sister's Accord. In fact, the only cars anyone in my family have owned that had actual rust holes were built in Japan (or England:)).

I know of several "happy" Vega owners (although none of them could beat my Pinto in an Autocross:))

GM used the technology first. Porsche went to school on GM. Or more correctly, the material supplier learned from GM's agony.

At the end, the Vega blocks were OK but by then, nobody cared.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The pinto in North America had cast iron blocks, 1.6L, 2L and 2.3L. GM made aluminum V8 engines (215 olds) back in the sixties. And the Corvair(with cast iron cyls). Then there was the ill-concieved Vega - nothing wrong with the aluminum, but running tinned iron pistons in them was not a bright idea.Aluminum heads go back a LONG way - aftermarket Frontenac heads for Model "T" Fords come to mind. Porsche used aluminum blocks in their water cooled inline and "V" engines. Many other European models also used aluminum blocks.(Renault comes to mind - with cast iron "wet" sleaves) as well as many Asian engines(like the Subaru - with either wet cast iron sleaves or cast in chilled iron sleaves) The soob goes back to the late seventies. A well designed and well built aluminum engine can go 1000000 Km (600000 miles). As for aluminum oil pans, cast aluminum pans go way back too. Old Fiat

124 engines had cast aluminum pans.And it was not a new idea then either. Many engines with cast aluminum pans today also use the pan as the bottom of the crankcase, and the main-bearing "girdle", so the pan is structural.

The metalurgy and casting processes have improved markedly in recent decades, making the use of aluminum engine parts a much "sounder" engineering choice.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

But the engines had cast iron cylinder heads. Having blocks and cylinder heads made out of different metals leads to problems with the metals expanding at different rates. This was good for my father, who rebuilt engines.

But there were aluminum engines in the 1960s:

The most popular car ever sold (i think around 25,000,000) had an aluminum engine.

Actually, an alloy is used rather than just aluminum. By mixing metals, you are able to get a metal with better properties.

When you have a piston in an engine that is going at 3000 RPMs, you have a piston that is going up and down (or side to side) 50 times a second. That is a lot of force to start and stop the piston. If you reduce the mass of the piston, you are able to reduce the force needed to move and stop the piston by the same proportion. That means less wear and tear on the bearings. And better fuel efficency.

You only need so much stiffness and strength.

The wear surfaces in an engine are the crankshafts, bearings, piston rings and cylinder walls, valves and valve guides, camshaft and bearings, cam gears and timing chains. None of these parts are aluminum, except the cylinder walls. And with proper lubrication, the cylinder walls don't wear out very fast. (Some engines have steel or iron sleeves).

So, aluminum won't wear out any faster than cast iron.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff