Ebay Adverts

Hi everyone, hope you're all well.

On-line auctions, or even adverts in general; what do you think of them?

I'm doing some research into how people perceive on-line adverts (particularly Ebay), the trustworthiness of sellers, what sort of ad's appeal to you, that kind of stuff. What makes you choose one seller over another if they're both selling the same thing at the same price?

What really turns you off a particular seller?

I'd welcome any (non-abusive) thoughts or experiences you've had. If it's a great thread I may even give you a mention if it gets published!

Email me with any experiences or ideas or thoughts at

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com

Thanks in advance,

Richard.

Reply to
richard.ingall

"richard.ingall" realised it was Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:42:10 GMT and decided it was time to write:

Bad feedback. Lack of information about the item on offer. Out-of-focus or clumsily formatted photographs. Anything that shows a lack of interest on the part of the seller, like less than smooth and swift communication.

I'll do no such thing. If you can't be bothered to read the newsgroup(s) you post in, I can't be bothered to bring my answer to your mailbox.

See also

Yippee

Stock photos, who cares if it's the same thing buyers want to see you've got it.

Feedback.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

I think you should spend more effort on your research project?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hate it when people use 10,000 point font text with lots of gimmicky pictures and such.

I prefer a nice and clean layout with an honest and informative description and actual photos of the product you are buying.

Good feedback too. And believable postage costs.

Reply to
Howard Rose

Yup. Also sellers who can't be bothered to add a postage price or who list an inflated postage price in an obvious attempt to increase their profit.

Sellers with their own check-out facility, expecting you to jump through hoops instead of using the system supplied by Ebay.

Sellers who's other items look dodgy. I was about to bid for something the other day until I spotted that the same bloke was also selling a dodgy looking knife under the heading of "Stelth Wepon" miss-spelt to circumvent Ebay's policies.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

From a BOF I really would like to use e-bay to sell loads of stuff - some motoring related, some not, but I just can't figure out how to use it. I've read all the instructions, but I'm a bit short on brain cells. Bought a digital camera which I understand is essential but just can't understand how it works. And many years ago I was a profesional advertising photographer, so that really does annoy me.

Quote from someone - can't remember whom - "it's so simple a twelve-year-old could use it". So could someone lend me a twelve-year-old? No, I'm not a dirty old man, or whatever the current expression is - it's just a different mindset And I'm afraid the current technology has left me dead in the water.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Have you ever bought anything from Ebay? IMO, it really isn't worth trying to sell stuff until you've racked up a feedback rating of at least 10 by buying things. They don't need to be expensive, just a selection of junk at a quid each will count. Then just click 'Sell', choose 'Online Auction' and follow the instructions... To find out what category to use, do a search for another similar item and see where that's listed. Honest Geoff, there are plenty of dimmer people than you or I making money from Ebay!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

From another BOF, all you need is the pic on the HD of your computer. It can come from a scanned in one, etc - not necessarily digital originally. Then when the ebay prog prompts you into uploading it you simply choose the one you want from a pop up of your HD menu.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not as much as Ebay make!

Reply to
Ken

I think that's a little harsh. "Email responses and I'll summarize back" is an established way of reducing clutter. Not that he offered to summarize back in this case, I grant you.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

Except the responder doesn't know what's already been said by others. I doubt if it does reduce clutter anyway - it usually gives the thread a second wind while everyone responds to the summary.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

But if the responses are personal views, other responses are irrelevant.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Only if you assume everyone's views are different. The question that started this could easily elicit loads of similar answers. Most people would simply assume someone else would answer and not bother themselves.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke