anyone ever buy a wrangler on ebay?

I'm interested in a wrangler on ebay:

wrangler was totaled (salvaged) but my Dad looked at it (it's nearwhere he lives) and he has a friend who owns a collision shop who canget it retitled. This jeep has no reserve on it but i have a feeling that the seller has a friend who is bidding on it to get the price up. I looked at his last item he sold and this same bidder showed up there! (bidder: mixkm8thq) This bidder has had an item that this seller has bid on as well (item

4548569512) Does ebay allow this? I would love to buy this wrangler but I would like to buy it for under $2000., fair and square! (My Dad said it would cost me about $1500.-$2000. to get it road-ready) If anyone is more versed in ebay buying, i could use some tips! Thanks, Denise
Reply to
denball3636

This wrangler was totaled (salvaged) but my Dad looked at it (it'snear

mixkm8thq)

Having someone bid your item up like that is called "shilling" and ebay does NOT allow it, you could send them an email. It may be a coincident, i guess you never know. I did notice however, in one of the pictures on that auction, there is a rear view of the vehicle. On the windshield (in reverse) it has a price tag of $2995. If the bidder you mentioned exceeds that price, you may be on to something. I own a '93 wrangler with a salvaged title and it was a lot of red tape getting a title, be cautious. Good luck, walt '93 yj

Reply to
wallster

its called shrill bidding.. if that is taking place.. report the seller to ebay, incl. the auction number and point out that the one bidder and seller have bid on each others auction in the past,

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

No, they can't have a friend bid on Ebay for you, but people do it all the time. I don't know if Ebay polices it or not. Best case is they may cancel the auction.

The best way to get something on ebay is to 'snipe' it.

You place your bid at the last possible minute. There are even software packages around that will do this for you. You enter the auction number, and your bid about. A few seconds before the bid auction ends your bid is placed.

If he has a buddy bidding on it, this will keep him/her from placing another bid after you do, unless his bid is higher than $2000.

I'd like to see an option in Ebay to automatically extend the auction by an hour after the most recent bid.

Reply to
Steve Foley

That would be "shill"...

"shrill" is something else

I bought this one

via eBay and had no problems with the transaction.

The seller described the condition accurately. I paid the deposit as he requested, flew to the location, spent the night, paid the balance and drove it home without any major difficulties other than could be expected driving a semi-open Jeep thru Southern Idaho and Northern Nevada in February... 8 Degrees F in Wells NV was a bit much. :^) The Jeep handled it better than I did.

If the auction that you are interested in seems dishonest or weird in any way, then don't bid. Hold out for something else. There are always more auctions and not all of them are dishonest. Check the feedback of sellers. If you can find the emails of prior buyers e them and ask their opinion of the seller Like the other posters suggested, if you suspect shill bidding then contact eBay, but don't expect them to do much...

Good Luck

Claude

Reply to
claudel

yeah. if there is still current interest in the item, thus a real close bid or snipe, the auctions time is extended further out each time the snipe is placed. neat idea. dave

Reply to
dave

wow.. just like a real auction. amazing. :)

Reply to
DougW

I would pass on it, it has a four cylinder. God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Yep. Lots of nice cars and some good pointers should I ever win the lotto.

Reply to
DougW

are you offering your six cylinder to her for $2000.??? : )

walt

Reply to
wallster

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I don't think that buying a Wrangler on eBay is in itself anything to be overly worried about, but buying a Salvage Title in any venue is always something to look at very carefully. I think you can buy a car or truck on eBay and 1.) get a pretty good deal, and 2.) get a pretty good vehicle. I am not sure that a vehicle with a Salvage Title is a good buy no matter where you get it.

eBay will allow anything that the Buyer and the Seller agree to. There is some idiot that just paid $15,400 for a slice of toast, so I am sure that eBay will not object to you buying a wrecked car for two grand. I would be leery of a repeat bidder that keeps cropping up at the seller's auctions.

One thing to keep in mind is that once a vehicle is branded with a Salvage Title, it will always have the salvage title. This means that all future owners will be alerted to the fact that the car was once totalled by the insurance carrier, and was put back together by the shop. Cars like this sometimes will never be straight, and normal people will not buy a used car that indicates that it was once a total wreck. This means that you may be stuck with this vehicle for a very long time.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Jeff Strickland wrote: I would be

Yeah, but shill bidding takes place at real auctions too.. The thing about it that eBay gets their panties wadded over is it's effectively setting a reserve price and they're not getting their fee for that.

As was mentioned before, get a sniping program. I looked for free ones for quite a while, finally found BidSage- it works well.

Manual sniping works well too, if you're home, up and not busy when the auction ends..

I find it interesting that eBay has had a single, powerful, curious effect on auctions, both real-world and online; the concept of "winning" an auction, as if it were some lottery. You don't "win" or "lose" any auction, you either buy the item by being high bidder or you don't want it as bad as the high bidder. They (as far as I can tell) started that idea and it was very good for business.

John

Reply to
JohnM

I bought my XJ on Ebay - it was actually a local seller, so it wasn't really the same as buying something unseen. No complaints - the seller was decent, the price was fair.

Brian