Identify this stock car's car body and grille?

Looks like a 30's Ford coupe, but really I don't know.

The grille reminds me of a Morris or Wolseley.

I'd be grateful for a definite id.

(The American car behind is a 1948 Buick Roadmaster.)

Cheers!

Reply to
brafield

Is the ref. to Hudson any use?

Reply to
Davey

No, sorry, I had been trying to figure whether the engine was a Hudson straight-8, probably is. So I was just after the car body. I am not good at 30s and 40s cars, but it looks a bit like a Ford "B" or similar.

Reply to
brafield

Is this in the UK or USA?

Reply to
Davey

The photo was taken in the UK at a 1/4 mile track, late 1950s. A lot of the stock car drivers got hold of American motors though, they often ran scrap yards and bought a ton of stuff off the USAF. So the 'mystery' bodywork co uld be American, though that rad grille def looks like Riley or Wolseley?

Reply to
brafield

It doesn't have the illuminated oval that was the Wolseley standard, but I also am no expert in those vehicles. A Rover badge, maybe? But the bodywork shape implies American to me. Maybe ask in those Clubs Forums or newsgroups, if they exist?

I'll send the link to a US friend.

Reply to
Davey

The grill is Morris, I'd say. Wolseley badges are oval.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

US friend replies:

Any help? Or have you already identified it?

Reply to
Davey

No, only someone who agreed with you that we're looking at a Morris grille. At first I thought it was an American Ford B coupe

but the windscreen/cowl is not right. Then I looked for a 1930 Ford, and I am certain this is a 1930 Ford "A" coupe:
So I'm settling for that. I have no idea how many Ford A's were imported to the UK in 1930, though I know quite a few American-design Fords were actually built at Dagenham. Cheers and thanks for chasing this up!

Reply to
brafield

Hi again: I was very ignorant: Ford built many thousands of the Model A in Dagenham, 1931 to 1937.

I guess I got brainwashed by reading HOT ROD MAGAZINE all those years ago at school when I should have been studying --- I thought they were all strictly Yank vehicles!

Reply to
brafield

I'm not sure that body design was ever made in the UK, though. Think it was called a doctor's coupe in the US.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks --- I will chase up that name and style. "Plowman", I used to know a Plowman family in Northamptonshire may years ago. :-)

Reply to
brafield

The "doctor's coupe" was a popular American nickname for the Ford Model T c oupe in the 1920's, and its bodywork does not quite match the stock car und er discussion --- its rear quarter light was larger and taller, and the fro nt "crease lines" do not match it. Cheers.

Reply to
brafield