Vehicle Tax Reminder

I have just received my reminder for a Historic vehicle.

DVLA know I have insurance, and they know I have an MOT for the vehicle.

They know that when I process the reminder, I won't be paying anything for it. While I have insurance and MOT there is no need for me to apply for a SORN.

So why send me a reminder? Why not save the postage and just renew?

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

It's like getting an invoice for zero pounds. Since some computer has gone to the trouble of sending it to you, it's only courtesy to send it back a cheque for the requested amount. Besides, you're talking about doing something logical, which is not how government works. And you might be contemplating taking it off road, so this way, you can apply for a SORN directly.

Reply to
Davey

Even if I was thinking of taking it off the road, if the vehicle has insurance and MOT it might as well be left taxed, and then I wouldn't have to cancel the SORN.

Thinking about it again though, if they send me a reminder and I take action on it, then it tells DVLA that I received the reminder and am therefore still at the registered address.

Whether that was the intention, I don't know, but it does add a slight logic to sending out the reminder.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Could be to remind you you still have to inform them of any changes etc, even if no VED to pay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It could also be that it's more efficient (i.e. cost-effective) to send every notice out than to be selective about it.

Reply to
Dean Dark