Importing from Guernsey & VAT

Sanity check, please :-

If somebody were contemplating importing a '60s EU-built car from a private seller in Guernsey, there wouldn't be any VAT payable on it, would there?

Reply to
Adrian

If the vehicle was bought new in the Channel Islands Purchase Tax or VAT always used to be charged on importation into the UK. The only exception was on vehicles which had been bought new with tax paid in the UK, these could be returned to the UK, providing a certificate of origin and all other paperwork was in order re-importation was tax free.

I would be surprised if things have changed and suspect the VAT will be charged on whatever value HM Customs place on the vehicle. I have seen car importers from the islands put the clock forward, drive the car through mud and empty ashtrays all over the interior in order to reduce the amount payable, but I can't vouch as to how effective such a wheeze was.

I suggest getting in touch with HM Customs:

and would advise that you make sure all the paper work they will require is spot on.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Richard H Huelin ( snipped-for-privacy@nospammershere.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I strongly suspect this was originally a UK-market car. It's certainly RHD.

I'm not thinking so much of any UK VAT, but any Guernsey VAT - the seller is demanding 17.5% "VAT" payable to him on top of the purchase price. I

*know* that can't be UK VAT, as that would be payable to Gordon's Rotweillers on import, proof demanded to register.

Personally, I suspect the vendor's trying it on.

Reply to
Adrian

So do I. There is no VAT in Guernsey see:

Given the sellers tendency to being a bit of a spiv can you trust someone like that to describe the car accurately.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

When I imported an early Herald from Jersey in 2000 I paid VAT upon import. Because the car was judged to be a "Vehicle of historic interest" the rate payable was reduced to 5%. Nevertheless, duty was payable to C&E, NOT to the vendor. Sounds like you're dealing with a dodgy one..... Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies