leaking headgasket: how to diagnose

Hi,

How can I diagnose a leaking head gasket (car engine) before I remove the cylinderhead. known signs: gas bubbles emerging from the radiator water, sludge in the engine oil, shown on the dipstick, same sludge, shown under the valve gear cover, uneven compression when I compare the cylinders.

What is possible to strengthen the suspection?

tx, rob

Reply to
rill2

Measure CO content in the coolant.

HTH, M

Reply to
Michael Hofmann

However in either case it could also be a cracked head or block.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Trail of steam from the exhaust pipe after idling for a bit.

Until finally the starter won't turn the engine because one cylinder is full of water. Best not to leave it that long though...

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Whatever it is (cracked head, cracked block, head gasket etc), with that lot the head is going to have to come off anyhow ....

Reply to
Mark W

Think you are misunderestanding me... only thing iI find on my car are bubbles emerging from the radiator water level. The three other signs I know are related to a blow gasket, but all three I DIDN'T find on my car!

I was aiming to gather points that must be present to diagnose a 'blown headgasket'

rob

Reply to
rill2

You're right - I misunderstood you :o)

Reply to
Mark W

I don't think there is a definitive test. It could be a blown head gasket, cracked head, or even a cracked block if we include all the possibilities. All could result in bubbles in the rad, without any other symptoms. The most likely and most common cause though, is a blown h/gasket. As has already been pointed out though. The only way to know for sure which it is, is to remove the head and examine the gasket, and head etc. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

.
Reply to
robert grant

A possible solution, but that still doesn't answer the OP's question of how to specifically diagnose a faulty cyl head gasket. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I doubt very much if there is an easy way to determine whether a suspected gasket leak is exactly that or a cracked head or block; it just very much more likely to be the gasket. With a wet liner engine it is possible that one of the liners for one reason or another is not nipping the gasket as it should, which might be classed as a block problem. Has the engine recently overheated or run low in water or anything that could distort the head?

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Wot I told him in an earlier post. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Looks like you have diagnosed it already

Peter

Reply to
Peter Chadbund

All of the symptoms listed could also be caused by corrosion of the head or block. Taking the head off is not rocket science - do it and confirm your suspicions - it's the only way.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Chadbund