Mayonnaise in the engine

I noticed with horror today that my oil filler cap is covered in mayonnaise and the oil on the dipstick has a colour resembling tea. The coolant has vanished and so I'm pretty sure the head gasket has gone. The car is a Spitfire 1500.

I don't know how long ago this happened, but it can't have been more than 200 miles ago when I last checked the oil. What sort of damage is this likely to have done? If I change the gasket and do an oil change will this be sufficient? I'm worried the sludge may block some of the oil passages.

Or will any residual mayo just burn off when the engine gets up to temperature?

Many thanks,

David

Reply to
David Balfour

200 miles? 'tis nowt; for a lot of peeps thats a day or two's driving. Oil and filter now, same again in 1k miles or so, obviously after you fix the cause of the symtoms. IIWY, I wouldn't flush it... that motor is getting on a bit now and you might, according to some (maybe controversial) opinions, drag out some otherwise undisturbed nasties. Use a quality oil and change it quick, and often thereafter.
Reply to
deadlock

After you change the oil and filter ( the water should seperate anyway when left standing) whats left of the water will evaporate when you use the engine again and become clear.

Reply to
Rob

Lots of short journeys?

Reply to
Conor

You know what's funny? I had the exact same symptoms not on my Spitfire, but on my 2003 MINI after a hellish storm. The dipstick resembled diarrhea and there was a tiny bit of white stuff on the bottom of the oil cap. It's in the shop now. Mind you, that oil is synthetic.

The MINI's "limp home mode" did a perfect emulation of my Spitfire just yesterday afer being awoken from its hibernation. I'm proud to say it's been resolved after an oil change and a few tries of the starter. It's running fine, despite my skepticism of the nameless oil filter made in India.

David Balfour wrote:

Reply to
S1500

I wouldn't say so, but it had crossed my mind. I suppose it depends on what counts as short.

The journeys it made in those 200 miles would have been between 10 and

25 miles each (if you count the same day return trip then 20 and 50 miles). I live a long way from anywhere useful so the car tends to get a good run each time I use it. It does get nicely warmed up.

But of this were the case then there would still be water in the radiator, which there isn't...

David

Reply to
David Balfour