where is a Pug 405 oil filler cap?

Hi all,

Where is the oil filler cap. It's an 89 1.9 GL petrol model, I'm used to the filler being ontop of the rocker cover but it aint there.

I've found the dip stick and that shows a bit low, besides I would like to give it a service.

Please help....

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Don't worry searching, use a funnel with a thin spout that fits down the dipstick hole. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

The dipsitck slides into the oil filler pipe- you pop off the clips at the top of where the dipstick goes into- and thats your filler.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Remove the dipstick from the black plastic holder, then undo the two spring clips that hold the top of the "holder" on and remove it.

Reply to
Tony Bond

If I do that,

how do I see how much oil is in the engine? surely the dipstick will get covered in oil when you put it back in?

Or is it a case of you cannot top up the oil, you need to drain and refil with manfufactures amounts?

This can't be right......

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Dipstick (the one that slots in the engine, not the one that owns the car), is a separate entity to the filler cap - it just happens to slot through the filler cap and into the sump, thanks to the cars design.

So... check the oil with the filler cap on. Remove filler cap... pour in some oil, then re-fit. Slot dipstick back into the offending orifice in the filler cap, then pull it back out to recheck the level in the sump.

It's not rocket science!

-- JackH - D.Bot (University of Speed)

BOTAFOT #110 - BOTAFOF #29 - GSX750F

"We might be ugly, but we don't care..."

Reply to
JackH

Nope, not rocket science, but I don't think I have that engine, I have a normal dipstick going into a normal tube with now sign of any kind of filler cap. Maybe I'll just leave it till I buy the haynes seems to be a lot of variations on the engines and no two are the same :(

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

The cap has a number on it - 710, ISTR

HTH

Reply to
PM

hehehe ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond

Nice one :), didn't get chance to look when I got home tonight so it will have to wait till tomorrow. I have a feeling I've found it though... not the dipstick tube think the engines a different one to that.

Will find out tomorrow

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Some versions of these Peugeot/Citroen engines had the dipstick built into the oil filler in front of the engine, others had a filler cap in front of the engine and a separate dipstick tube at the back of the engine - just depends how the people at the factory were feeling the day your car was built ;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read