Mixing tyres

Not specifically classic related, but the group has always been helpful to me in the past!

I am going to tow a single axle trailer full of bits for my Spitfire and boat about 250 miles tomorrow. The tyres are ok, but my spare is a different size from the current ones on the axle. The current tyres are 145's, and my spare is a (new) 135.

Is it going to be safe to use this spare? I don't think there's a law against mixing tyres sizes, but would it be unsafe?

Many thanks,

David

Reply to
David Balfour

Chances are you wont need to use the spare, but if you do I can't see the fact that it smaller by 10mm significantly affecting trailer safety. AFAIK though, it is an offence to have different size tyres on the same axle. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I'd be more concerned about the load rating than the size mix: a 135R13 tyre is likely to have a load rating of 70, i.e. 335kg per tyre. What's the weight of the trailer and its load? Even the 145R13 is only likely to be rated at 75 (387kg). If you're within the load limit, I wouldn't worry about the diameter difference (2*80%of (145-135)) since a new tyre can easily be 8-10mm bigger diameter than a worn one. As for the law - if you're stopped, spray the wheel yellow and call it a spacesaver.

Most trailers have far worse problems the owner should be worried about.

Reply to
Autolycus