Mixing Alloy and Steel wheels?

Is it ok to fit a steel tyre and wheel with alloys on all the other wheels. Tyres are same size 195/60/15. Only temporary until I can get it sorted.

Steel tyre/wheel is from an identical Mondeo.

Mondeo 1.8LX 1999

Reply to
Pete

Tyres are same size 195/60/15. Only temporary until I can get it sorted.

I don't see why not. I once had a puncture on a tyre on an alloy wheel (on a 2-litre Cavalier) just before a trip to Europe and had no time to repair it before leaving. Fitted the steel spare (same size wheel and tyre) and drove over 200 miles, largely at high motorway speeds, before fitting a new tyre. No problems.

Reply to
Ramsman

Tyres are same size 195/60/15. Only temporary until I can get it sorted.

Our Ford Focus has 4 alloys, but the spare is steel with a 50mph sticker on it. Same size tyres, but I believe the reason for the 50mph restriction is that the manual explains that there are different nuts for alloy and for steel (different profile that they mate with). So using the alloy nuts for steel rims are okay as a temporary thing I believe - but with the 50mph limitation.

Kind of defeats the purpose of carrying a full-size spare if they put the same restrictions on it as a space saver (but you lose the space as well!).

Keep meaning to buy a set of steel rim nuts...

David Hearn