Physical dimensions of MGB engine

I'm trying to work out some basic dimensions for a potential project. I need to find the external dimensions of a BMC B-series engine, specifically as fitted in the MGB. I have side on photographs of the engine and gearbox, if someone can provide one or more of the key dimensions, then I can roughly calculate the other dimensions from that. Thanks for any help, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

I didn't know you could fit these in heralds!

Try

snipped-for-privacy@autox.team.net

Or have you already?

Long Live Club Triumph

ken

1981 TR7 DHC 1974 Stag
Reply to
Ken Forrest

I don't see why it wouldn't fit a Herald; it's not much bigger than a standard 1200/1300 unit, and I suspect smaller than the 6 cyl (not seen one close up).

Anyway I have plans to shoehorn my spare one into a Standard Eight!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

... I was looking from the other point of view, what can I replace an MGB engine with? I know a Herald engine will go in - it would sound better but wouldn't go very fast ;-) Despite my obvious Triumph background, I have owned a series of BGTs, the last one left about 10 years ago. Never liked the engine though.... Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Oh, that's better - I was beginning to get worried about you.

Somebody has slipped a twin-cam Alfa motor into a Sunbeam Alpine and it looks really good, but in an MGB - I don't think so somehow. Haven't you got a Stag engine that you are using as a coffee table or something? ;-)

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Reminds me of the cars that a couple of brothers around here used to put together as an offshoot of their garage business. When I was up there buying a car (a most wonderful mis-and-match of 1st generation R5 bits, combining a 1300-odd GTL head and small carb with a big-bore block - Gordini, IIRC - and high final drive: made for a nice little runaround) they showed my their current "project", which was a Morris

1000 with a supercharged FIAT twin-cam from an Argenta, 5-speed box ditto and Dolomite Sprint back axle. Just for fun..
Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

I've always liked the idea of dropping Stag engines into different cars, revenge for all the dubious engine conversions carried out on Stags. Nevertheless, how ever good it can be made to go, the Stag engine is still more hassle than I want. Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

And there's no better reason than that! Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

It's basically too heavy compared to the Rover V-8. Before starting on anything else. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK then, but continuing the train of thought - anyone got a spare Wankel they would let Bill have?

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Hello Bill, Would it be difficult to replace it with a Rover 2L O / M / T Series engine from a Rover 820? I was under the impression the block is almost the same and should still bolt straight onto an LT77 gearbox.

Paul

Reply to
P A Latham

I'm just doing some mental gymnastics with what "may" happen in the near future. I've seen the O series used in a few Bs, somehow it loses appeal in having already been done. Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

A friend is trying to think of a use for a Nissan 1.4 16v engine out of a Sunny. Apparently they have zero s/h value as they never go wrong. I expect it would fit into just about anything if anyone could think of a RWD gearbox to bolt onto it. Perhaps a bit small for a B though.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

The obvious Rover V8 route has been well trodden so I expect that's out of consideration. There was a guy in MGOC a while back that shoehorned a Jaguar V12 into a B. No room for the heater but it went well. John

Reply to
John

John ( snipped-for-privacy@freenetname.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Would it NEED a heater, with that amount of engine in there?

How about a decent modern v6?

Reply to
Adrian

Friction from the front bumper dragging along the road all the time would have heated the rest of the car up nicely. Traction might have been a problem though with the back wheels several inches off the ground.

-- Dave Baker

***
Reply to
Dave Baker

Or a good ol' Daimler V8. Bugger the expense. Pull the stunt off and you'd have something close to perfect.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Absolutely gorgeous engine, not that I've ever lived with one. When I first started getting around the old car shows in the late 1980s, I remember seeing a Daimler Dart with it's bonnet open. I almost had my head over the engine bay by the time I could tell that the engine was running. Until then I'd always associated V8s with being big unrefined units, certainly left an impression on me. Back then the engines seemed to be cheap and plentiful too.... I remember an MGB V12 article from about 15-16 years ago. Very impressive that it was squeezed in, and I'm sure it sounded good, must have made the MGC's understeer seem trivial though! Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

I knew a chap who did exactly that in the seventies. IIRC the only problem was plumbing in the exhaust system. Made a very nice car - pity BriLeyMoCo never made it as the MGD, as all the bits were in their bin. Presumably internal politics? It was much nicer than the MGC.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Cost, I'd assume. The Daimler V-8s were extremely expensive engines to make.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)