Physical dimensions of MGB engine

I was thinking of it as a sort of latter-day C, so a small bonnet bulge would fit in quite well.

Hmm..

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Andrew Robert Breen, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

MG themselves did a couple. They pop up occasionally at auctions, so they can't be all that good.

Reply to
Pete M

I was indeed thinking of the early '90s 24 valve BMW engine which was a smoothie that loved to rev. But had an iron block. Later all alloy engines also have variable valve timing so perhaps a bit too complicated.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" realised it was Wed, 16 Jan

2008 00:29:29 +0000 (GMT) and decided it was time to write:

So you might as well get a TR6 and be done with it.

Reply to
Yippee

It's probably easier to fit than the Jag six, given that they're designed to be mounted at an angle.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I've got a 2.6L Capri V6 in my '73 MG-B-GT, fits fine, not too much heavier than the original 1.8L, and a hell of a lot of fun to drive. I've uprated the front bushings to V8 spec stuff, and the ARB is also a larger diameter (30mm) and the wheels are 6" X 15" with 195/50s, it's a slot car for the most part...

SteveL

Reply to
pakeha

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate snipped-for-privacy@not.a.real.address.com, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

A 2.6 Capri lump? Please tell me it's not an RS2600 engine, because that would be criminal.

I have a serious case of wanting an RS2600.

Reply to
Pete M

Yes - a friend of mine did exactly that some time in the early seventies. The engine went in easily; main problem was plumbing the exaust so that it didn't foul on anything. He ended up getting Mike the Pipe to make up a system from scratch. I think, although memory is hazy, that he used the Daimler manual gearbox as well, although that would be pretty rare these days.

The reult was excellent, should have become the MGD since all the bits were owned by BrileyMoCo, but no doubt politics intervened as was usual at that time. Although the management did come up with some pretty strange decisions around that time - for example, the SP250 was never sold in the USA because "American dealers would not have the skills to maintain them" - right, the Yanks didn't know much about pushrod V8s....

There was also an MGB fitted with a small-block Chevy; it was used as a road car for a while, but then sprouted a supercharger and ran on nitromethane and disappeared into the drag racing world.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

No, not an RS2600 lump, just a bog standard 2600 GT lump, with a few improvements... Larger valves, ported heads, longer con rods, 0.040 overbore, flat top pistons, lumpity cam, Offenhauser intake, 500cfm Edelbrock carb, a set of Stans Headers (extractors), been running for nearly 15 years, it's still a gem to drive...

SteveL

Reply to
pakeha