Dumbest question of the day - 1977 MGB

Here's the dumbest question of the day (possibly of the decade). I just bought a 1977 MGB, and can't for the life of me locate the hood (bonnet) release. I have spent 30 minutes with a flashlight looking all over under the dash for it, but can't find it! I thought that it would be in the same place as the ones in my older MGB's, but there is a box with an "inertia" switch there. It's not shown in the Moss detailed catalog nor in my service manual. The car is a US version (I'm in the US). Can someone tell me where to find it? Thanks in advance! Keith

Reply to
Keith Stelter

Isn't it up under the dash on the drivers side where the bulkhead goes flat?

Reply to
Nick Mason

Thank You for the reply, Nick! Would that be to the left or to the right of the steering column (left had drive car)? Keith

Reply to
Keith Stelter

It's been a long time since I owned a 'B' sol I've got to say that I'm guessing here but I *think* it should be to the left of the steering column, between the steering column and the drivers door. It should be a 'T' shaped pull handle although they did use round knobs at some point.

Reply to
Nick Mason

My UK '67B has a round pull toggle ( please dont call it a Knob) at knee level on the LHS of the cabin. That cable ( or the nipple) has been known to part, leaving you with a tricky job fishing through the grill ( The bonnet release lever pulls to the left looking from the cockpit) A popular precaution is to get some sash cord, tie it to the operating lever, centre front of the Hood/bonnet, and feed it through any convenient hole in the LH inner wing. The cord then hangs permanently just in front of the tyre, and in the event of a release cable fault /breakdown ( or worse a fire) a sharp tug will get you into the engine bay. You will soon get the hang of anticipating problems if you own an MGB!!! Cheers P '67B '97F

Reply to
Pointer

Keith, on my '76, it is under the dash between the steering column and the driver's door. Not sure whether or not they moved it for the '77 dash redesign. It's a t-handle, and mine is actually a bit up under/behind the dash so is kind of a pain to get to.

Don't they say that the only dumb question is the one that isn't aksed? ;-)

Dan D '76 B Tourer Driver '65 B Tourer Project Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Reply to
Keith Stelter

If the release is broken then what he did was naughty but smart. :o)

As the deal is done and not a major problem I'd be tempted to give him a call and ask, it'll save you time messing about.

Car salesmen, don't you just love 'em!

Reply to
Nick Mason

That's really strange, Keith... I doubled-checked my copy of Original MGB and it states that the bonnet (hood) release was always under the left side of the dash for LHD cars, and it should have the t-shaped handle with a pictograph of an open bonnet.... I know you can fish around through the opening in the top of the front bumper to open the hood. That may be the easiest way to get it open and then try and trace the cable back.

I just looked at my car - it is right next to the outside interior panel way up under the dash - I have a picture I can send you if you send me your e-mail.

Dan D '76 B Tourer Driver '65 B Tourer Project Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Keith, I just loaded a picture into my Photobucket account -

Dan D '76 MGB Tourer Driver '65 MGB Tourer Project Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

"Keith Stelter" schreef in bericht news:1152238005 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net...

=----

I once opened the hood by pulling the wire from underneath the hood, just aboved the front bumper. Try to get you your hand trough the 'hole' in the rubber bumper.

Marvin

Reply to
mpg

"mpg" schreef in bericht news:44aedd6a$0$729$ snipped-for-privacy@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...

Page 117, the little handel at the back of the catchplate (number 11 on the pic), and the hood will flip open.

Reply to
mpg

Reply to
Keith Stelter

EXCELLENT! THANKS!!!!

Reply to
Keith Stelter

Ok, good luck, Keith, and let us know what you find out! I'm pretty curious as to where this thing is.....

Dan D '76 B Tourer Driver '65 B Tourer Project Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

"Dano58" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Just follow the iron cable running from the catch plate into the cabin. Can't miss it.

Perhaps it's a right hand drive cable system in a left hand drive car, so it's on the opposite side?

Reply to
mpg

Reply to
Keith Stelter

Huh, interesting.... I wonder what else the previous owner DPO'd for ya!

Dan D '76 B Tourer Dirver '65 B Tourer Project Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58