Re: rusty middle/outer sills

Wow - that is one rusty sill!

I had an FD1600 as my first car, then an FE1800 and FE2300 after university. The original outer sill became so thin that I gouged a huge hole in it against a rock in a car park, but the middle part of the sill was still perfect - that would have been in 1987 (on a 'N' reg car).

The FE1800 had a good body, and the FE2300 a good engine so the way forward was obvious! I loved the FE much more than the FD.

Reply to
Tim

Hi, I too had an 'N' reg FE1800 in the 1980's, nice to hear some one else who liked them. The outer sill on my VX1800, was solid and original, but I knew the middle sill was rusty, and cutting it away reavealed just how bad the rust on the middle sill and rear end is. I have started work on it, and have posted some new pictures to show progress so far.

The vertical beads of weld are for added rigidity, not ideal, but Isuspect new middle sills are unavailable. Shane

Reply to
shane