Re: VED Evasion Fines

On a subtly different tack, I've just been an taxed a car that's been off the road for about 18 months, and SORNed.

One of the questions on the V10 is "When did the last tax disc expire".

I dunno, offhand.

Apparently that MUST be filled out, else you can't have a new tax disc.

So - what happens if you've got a car that's been in a shed for a few years, and the old disc's long gone AWOL? Sure, if you've bought it off the road, you say when you got it - but what if you last used it about 10 years back, and have been restoring it?

What if you put the wrong answer (like I have - I guessed at Jan 03, but the woman behind the counter put Jan 04)?

Reply to
Adrian

That's what I just did. I said I bought it in an off-the-road untaxed condition and thought it hadn't been taxed since 1990. Seemed to be acceptable.

Reply to
The Blue Max

The Blue Max ( snipped-for-privacy@Jasta1.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, because you have the option to put the date you bought it if it hadn't been taxed since - but if you owned it when it was last taxed, you don't...

Reply to
Adrian

I'd suggest you guess as early as feasible.

Swansea will know when it was last taxed, and if you put a date between that and now, they might just think you'd been using it when it was SORNed.

Just guessing you understand, but if you tell them it ran out before it really did I don't see how in any way they could penalise you.

As I understand one of the recent changes is that they don't have to catch you using it untaxed, just being untaxed and not SORNed is an offence in itself, unless the tax ran out before the SORN rules were invented.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Beck