Topping up power steering

Is it normal for most makes and models of cars to have to spend a bit of time working the power steering from full lock left to right in order to get the hydraulic fluid bled,topped up and circulating properly?

Or should I be *really* pissed off that the local garage couldn't be bothered to do it properly after working on a car of mine? I've had to put 0.3litres in to get the system full after getting the car back - it was screeching like mad and was half empty.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

"Michael Kilpatrick" wrote in message news:419c7c53$0$20216$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.dial.pipex.com...

I think you should be *really* pissed off that the local garage couldn't be bothered to do it properly...

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Normally it only takes a couple of turns from lock to lock to bleed a hydraulic p/steering system. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

With old BMC rack power systems it takes 5 or 6 SLOW turns lock to lock with the front wheels jacked clear of the ground

Reply to
Carlton Browne