E39 M5 - Power steering whine

Makes a whining / grinding sort of noise, mainly when the car is turning hard right. Hoses have all been changed, fluid has been bled. Is it time for a new power steering pump? I hope it's not the bloody Servotronic box, that's a git to get to, and I imagine it's not cheap either. Car has 125000 miles.

Reply to
TD

If it's the pump it'll do it when the wheels are against a cirb & not moving whilst you try & turn them.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Took me a while to work out what you meant. I don't really want to rub my wheels against a kerb.

Reply to
TD

Just park next to one then turn the wheel. If you've got wheels that will touch stick a few bits of old carpet or the like in between wheel & kerb.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Ooh, that's a good idea, if I can find some suitable material.

Reply to
TD

You'll get the same effect by just turning the steering wheel hard to full lock. Under those conditions the pressure relief valve opens, which causes the p/s pump to make a noise. That is normal with hydraulic p/s systems. If it makes a noise other than when turning hard, it sounds like there may be a problem with the pump, or the system may just be low on fluid. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G