Triumph TR3 mixing oil and water

The water from the cooling system is apparantly leaking into the sump oil on my Triumph TR3. During this winter I've topped up the water several times (without having the engine started) and have probable added a 2-3 liters of water. When checking the oil level recently, I discovered that the oil level had gone up by approx. the same volume... I havent had the car for that long.

My question is: Where does the water most likely get through? In the bootom of one of the cylinder liners? - (The engine has wet liners). I don't think it is in the cylinder head, because the few time I have had the engine started, it has always started immidiately and on all 4 cylinders.

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
Michael Nørgaard Andersen

Head gasket, most likely. Could also be a cracked head or block.

So the head gasket does not leak water into the combustion chamber.

HTH, M

Reply to
Michael Hofmann

"Michael Nørgaard Andersen" realised it was Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:58:31 +0200 and decided it was time to write:

My bet would be on one of the two figure-of-eight gaskets at the bottom of the liners. They don't go often, but when they do, this is a clear symptom.

Are you subscribing to the Triumphs mailing list? It's full of friendly and knowledgeable TR owners who will no doubt be able to help you with problems like this. See

formore info on how to subscribe.

Reply to
Yippee

Likely a liner seal has failed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Certainly is. I had a Standard Vanguard, same engine, same symptoms, and that was the cause. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

If it has been used, then this would be likely. However if unused, and particularly on this engine, then I'd be looking at the bottom liner seals.

Mild winter, but it might have suffered frost damage. Hopefully it was getting topped up with antifreeze, not plain water.

Reply to
Andy Dingley