Techno Classica 2005

I just returned from Techno Classica in Essen, Germany. It's an annual classics fair which the organisers say is the largest in the world. Nineteen halls, 110,000m^2 (1.2 million ft^2), 1,000 exhibitors, thousands of cars, more than 130,000 visitors. It's pretty big.

There's no hope of seeing it all in one day. I estimate we got through about 75%, we had to let the club stands go. I'm sure you could find everything you need for your car at the trade stands if you spent a week looking for it, but unfortunately the fair only lasts four days.

Quality is always very high. The large German manufacturers tend to really pull out the stops, with BMW and VAG each occupying their own hall. Mercedes invests a lot, too, this year celebrating the history of the S-class in preparation of the new version coming in September. There was a heavily camouflaged W221 prototype on show, complete with almost-real security agent. Audi was celebrating 25 years of Quattro with a whole gaggle of ur-Quattros and VW was failing miserably at making Bugatti's history its own. Other manufacturers show a good selection of cars from their factory museums. This year saw a remarkably large number of expensive, generally unaffordable Mercedes on show everywhere: SSK's, 540K's, 300SL's (about twenty of them) and 600SEL's. Nice to look at (apart from the 600SEL's), but you get a bit blase after the umpteenth priceless 540K in concours condition. Plenty of other high quality stuff, too, like Bentleys, Lagondas, Bugattis, Horchs and such.

Pictures on

- the comments are in Dutch. Ifyou want to know more about a pic, ask me here.

Reply to
Yippee

Great pictures. The Tatra V12 looked fun. But what was the the barn find (with straw bale and chicken to emphasise the fact) at the start of row 11? The caption mention Peugeot, but with a spiral bevel axle and open propshaft? Still, it made the Bug in the next photos look even nicer by contrast...

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

"R.N. Robinson" realised it was Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:37:40 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

Thanks.

It's a Tatra T80, with a 6-litre engine. Very rare as only 22 were built between 1930 and 1935. It looked awesome - the picture doesn't do the car justice.

You're right, it's not a Peugeot but an Opel commercial, either Olympia or Kadett. The car was there to advertise exhausts - hence the spanking new exhaust system on it.

I only included that pic to show the poor car wax salesman toiling away, in contrast to all the precious metal on offer elsewhere.

Reply to
Yippee

The manifolding is interesting, but I suppose it is what you get when you design a side valve V12 with only one camshaft. I just hope they specified valve clearances when cold, not hot.

Ah, that explains a lot. Thank you.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson