Weight of Imp engine & box??....a long shot ..I know

Anyone know??..I seem to remember the motor was a little over 100lbs, and was (originally?) the Coventry Climax used to drive a fire pump.

Cheers

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Used to get my Imp engine in and out by hand when I was 17 yrs old. Was a fire engine pumping unit yes.

Reply to
John & Lisa

John & Lisa ( snipped-for-privacy@notachancebobby.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sort of derived from, but after it'd been heavily reworked by the Rootes engineers it was nowhere near as close to the original Coventry Climax FW original as the Lotus Elite's was.

Adrian

It was loosely based on that engine, but not the same. The fire pump engine - much modified - was used for racing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "John & Lisa" saying something like:

Motor Industry Myths That Will Never Die. No 24 in a series of 2000.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not quite - it was based on it. Similar design but re-scaled. Bit like A & B Series BMC engines. Which are actually ripped off from a Bedford wartime design.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I agree, it was quite possible to remove an Imp engine single handedly and when I worked in a Rootes dealership many moons ago we were expected to do this. We found it easier, if the transaxle was ok, to split the engine and pull out separately on a cradle we had made to fit on a trolley jack. We also used to change water pumps in 35 mins with the help of an air gun and rotoflexies in 15 mins.

Another Dave

Reply to
Dave

The original firepump engine was the FWP (feather weight pump!), this evolved into a marine engine that never sold, the FWM. An automotive variant of this was the 750cc FWMA, which was the basis of the Imp engine.

The 1220cc unit in the original Lotus Elite evolved from the FWP via another route.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

The FWM I have had experience of, working in a boatyard in the late 60's. A lot of power for its weight but not very reliable if not used frequently.

Richard Web pages:

- caravanning,
- personal web site and
I loves the domain name for email.

Reply to
Richard Cole

Richard Cole ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Must be related to the wImp lump, then.

Reply to
Adrian

I put blocks under my engine, undid the bolts holding it to the transaxle and then pushed the car forwards out of the way.

I don't know how much the engine actually weighed, but I could just about pick it up on my own.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

And I think the 1000cc Talbot Horizon had an Imp derivative up the front.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I used to be able to remove Viva engines by hand, but that was when I was young and stupid enough to think my back could put up with it. Wrongly, as I later found out.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave" saying something like:

I'm not disagreeing with the ease of Imp engine removal, I did enough ot them myself, just that it was a water pump engine.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

"Based on it" is not the same thing as it actually being it, according to J&L, is my point.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Jim Warren" saying something like:

Certainly did, and a nice little unit it was, having had all the bugs fixed by then. Pity they didn't fix them years before. I recall seeing a V8 version produced by some bloke - lovely little lump.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Jim Warren writes

No, that was the base model of the RWD Chrysler Sunbeam. This used a

930cc version of the Imp engine with a few improvements such as a proper oil seal on the clutch end of the crankshaft rather than the scroll on the Imp engine.
Reply to
Chris Morriss

I saw one such V8 in a motorcycle...very nice it looked too, neat bit of engineering.

Reply to
Stan Barr

2 or 3 years ago, Daimler-Chrysler put their V10 in a motorcycle and showed it somewhere as a "concept." Last year, they built and sold about 10 of them:

Wretched excess, anyone?

Reply to
Dean Dark

Old hot-rodder's saying: "If some is good, and more is better, then too much should be just about enough" :-)

Reply to
Stan Barr