Where is my old Lotus Seven

Just wondered if anyone knows what happened to PFU 855G

1969 orange lotus seven series 3 that I owned around 1970 ish. I sold it to a guy when I was living in York. Those were the days !
Reply to
mal_k100

It hasn't been taxed since 1981, so it looks like it was scrapped long ago.

Reply to
SteveH

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) saying something like:

I wonder what kind of Philistine would scrap a genuine 7? Even as a shower of rotten tubes it'd be worth hanging on to, with the idea of some eventual restoration, but maybe it was totalled - a much more fitting end.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Grimly Curmudgeon ( snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEgmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Mebbe it was exported?

What would a late '60s 7 have been worth in '81, anyway? Probably not much.

Reply to
Adrian

*ding*

That's around the time my uncles had an E-Type and Interceptor.

Both bought at auction for slightly less than f*ck all.

Reply to
SteveH

...in the village!

Reply to
S1500

"Thoroughbred & Classic Cars", March 1981, private ads:

E type V12 convertible, 73M, "absolutely superb", £5950

DB5 o.o. £10000

MGA roadster, concours, £4000

Jaguar 2.4 1957, vgc £1800

Lotus Super 7, 1961, rebuilt, "ideal sex substitute for middle aged man" £2995

Interceptor SP Mk 111, 1972, vgc, £3495 (trader)

20/25 Hooper 1930, £9000

Austin 8, 1947 £1200.

Morris 1000 Traveller, 1970 £1000

Bentley 3 1/2, PW drophead, £11000

Bentley Mk VI, 1948 £4950

Retail Price Index March 81 - 71.99 Dec 2006 - 202.7

Tentative conclusion: ordinary cars have barely kept up with RPI, rare and desirable ones have done rather better.

Reply to
Autolycus

Thanks to all who responded.

Not sure why anyone would scrap it unless it was damaged, aluminium body with fibreglass wings, only the spaceframe could deteriorate. Maybe it got smashed up. Thanks to the guy that took the trouble to look up the last tax date, I'd never had thought of that.

I guess just wishful thinking on my part. Even if I saw another I don't think I could buy one, it would always bring back memories of my original first sports car! Cheers and thanks again to all

Reply to
mal_k100

Well well well small world, actually I own it, it was purchased by myself in

1992 from a butcher in Devon in a desperate state, its presently in storage after full £6000 restoration its currently painted in Lotus racing green, I'm waiting for the prices of these to go through the roof then I'll sell, offers are of course very welcome, I have a fully restored '62 series 2 Elite too if anyone is interested offers around £30k
Reply to
Dr F.G. Manner-Moore

What a great shame. When I had it is was a beautiful orange colour. I fitted a triangular stainless steel silencer on the passenger side with a swept exhaust coming out just in front of the rear nearside wheel. Also fitted a couple of manually operated reversing lights a sort of tubular style. Last thing I can remember is that the rear guards used to get chipped from the stones kicked up by the front wheels so I also 'glued' some rubber matting onto the lower side of the rear guards. Had a new black carpet throught, and oh yes - I put on a rollowver bar too. Used to be something really special in those days. Standard 1600 cc ford engine I think around 65 - 70 bhp with a

2000E gearbox. It still went like stink though. Maybe if it was still in the colour I rmember I'd have made you and offer !!! Glad to know that it is still alive !
Reply to
mal_k100

You Lying Toad.

Reply to
Bob

I beg your pardon?

Do you have circa £20k then you may view and purchase the vehicle!

Reply to
Dr F.G. Manner-Moore

Why would anyone say you were lying ?

Easy to sort as there were some things I did to it that were custom ! Exhaust can be easily described and is/was a one-off custom job. I also fitted reversing lights that can be fairly easily described. Other odds and ends that would easily identify it unless they were removed/changed over the years.

Not that I doubt anyone but it would settle things

Cheers

Reply to
mal_k100

Because he's a well-known troll.