'87 C4 - A/C: Recharge stock or convert to new refrigerant?

Hi all,

My '87 coupe's A/C is blowing cool but not cold so should I recharge the original A/C and keep the setup all original for that future collector or convert to the new refrigerant (R12 vs R34?)?

Surprise, surprise, the cost at local garages (for recharge or conversion) and the nearby Chevy dealership (conversion only) is exactly the same -- $200.

Thoughts??

Best to all.

Ed B.

Reply to
Ed Berns

What is involved in the conversion for $200 ? I think it would be a selling point to a future owner if it was upgraded because once R12 is gone...its gone forever.

Reply to
dave

By the way, its R134 (and not R34).

Reply to
dave

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
Bob I

This is an annual topic for this NG. Last year someone mentioned FR-12 as being the solution to everyone's problem. (Higher cooling capacity than R134a, lower head pressure than R-12, ozone OK, no great conversion cost, etc. etc.) These are some current web pages that take some of the gloss from FR12. (keep in mind that there may be some "sour grapes" here from outfits that don't want the expense of handling three refrigerants)

My A/C guy (Griffin's in San Diego) still has me on R-12 and doesn't want to convert older Corvettes to R134a because of the high heat load in the car. Last summer I asked him about FR-12 and he said he wanted to wait. I'm cool for now and don't plan on another complete service till next year. (Meanwhile the system is loaded with R-12 and a florescent dye -- Costs a few bucks to shine the black light on it every couple of months to spot minor leaks before they cause me to mortgage the farm.)

Anyone else have any FR-12 experience ???

Paul H.

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Paul H.

Reply to
Greg

Based on the second link that Paul H. gave, FR-12 and freeeze 12 are different products.

But, what WAS your experience???

Reply to
WayneC

Hi all,

Thanks for the great info. I'll post results when I make the final decision.

Ed B.

Reply to
Ed Berns

Reply to