aging tires

Sorry if this isn't exactly a Corvette question but it does relate to tires. What is your thoughts on cars whose tires begin to crack on the sidewalls due to age even when the tread is still pretty good? One tire guy told me to prolong the life of the tire, use Armorall on the sidewalls but I'm hesitant to do this because I recall in the 70's that some were doing it to their dashboards and then they cracked and others said the cracking was due to the Armorall. Hence I hesitate to put this stuff on my sidewalls. Is there any stuff you use to prolong the sidewalls from cracking or is this all a myth?

Also do you think at some point the cracking is dangerous to the remaining life of the tire?

Thanks all.

ps-- I chose this newsgroup over others because I think you guys are real car enthusiasts compared to the other groups :) .

Reply to
doug

dont be silly , replace them!

under load, sidewalls are just as as important as the tread itself.

if these are original tyres then keep them for show otherwise you are playing with ya life....

soap and water to clean only...

my 2 cents

Harry '64 coupe downunder

Reply to
hmmmmmm

My opinion (assuming you need a speed rated tire): ...any sidewall crack is reason to discard the tire.

A crack exposes the casing cord to ozone, moisture etc. (it's probably the 'etc.' that will get you...LOL) Once it gets to the cord or the steel components... sayonara speed rating!

Before you reach that point you'll probably feel poor handling and hear more road noise -- as the tread hardens. The tire may vibrate even if it's well balanced.

I hate the recycling fee I have to pay on my well-treaded turn-ins. I know they are headed for some car in Baja.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

All tire sidewalls will show cracking after prolonged exposure to sunlight. Yes, I think cracking detracts from the life of the tire, but some say any tire over about 6 years old is risky, even if it's indoors on the shelf, because the rubber continues to cure over time.

The Armor-All question is an ongoing argument, and I've yet to hear of anyone running a scientific test, like treating just half the dashboard over a period of years, or one tire on each side, etc. Those that buy it repeatedly seem to like it and swear by it, others say it is harmful. I take the safe route, I don't use it, but then I don't enter car shows, either. I never liked the extreme shine it imparts to vinyl, but they now do offer a low-lustre version.

Here are some reviews I found with a Google search:

WayneC

Even with a hole in the sidwall?

Reply to
Bob I

Yeah... as long it's mounted, facing inboard.

And, damnit Bob, quit peeking under my car with your stupid inspection mirror.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Teeny, tiny "micro-cracks" are normal aging. Real cracks that expose anything inside the casing is a danger. Yes, tires age whether or not you use them. Exposure to sunlight and Ozone accelerate the process. Even if you drive the car only a few miles each year, the tires should be replaced periodically. High performance drivers will need to replace tires sooner than others. I have discarded sets of tires that had tread left but had lost traction due to age.

If you have your car detailed, the pros will certainly dress the tires. I use various tire dressing products. I still get the teeny, tiny surface cracks after a number of years. I've never had tires on any car long enough for the cracks to get seriously big. I like tire dressing for winter use because road grime won't adhere to the sidewalls right after an application. Uh, no, not my Corvette tires. They don't get to experience road salt.

Exposed core = end of tire life.

Tires are the only thing that connects your car to the road. Just how much risk to your life are you willing to accept to get those extra few thousand miles out of a set of tires?

Over 75% of Corvettes are sold with automatic transmissions.

Reply to
ACAR