What are the QUIETEST tires for a Cherokee ?

I do mostly highway driving with my 2000 XJ 2WD Cherokee. Never off-road. For me, it's more of a large station wagon than an SUV.

Given my usage, what are the QUIETEST tires I can put on it ? This thing's got enough road noises as it is, I don't want tires that sound like a jet engine at 70 MPH.

I've always liked Continental tires for my Volkswagens, but I have no idea what their reputation is in the Light Truck / SUV world. Any opinions on the Continental ContiTrac ? I've noticed on the web that Ford Explorer owners seem to dislike them as the OEM tire, but then the Explorers seemed to have had problems with many different tires.

The local tire dealer - Les Schwab - recommended the Toyo Eclipse, but I know even less about them.

Or any better recommendations ?

- FM -

Reply to
Fred Mau

Tirerack rates the Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor as the quietest.

Brandonb

Fred Mau wrote:

Reply to
Brandonb

If ride quality and quietness are the determining factors you should consider "All Season, Touring or Grand Touring" automobile tires instead of the heavier and stiffer light truck tires.

Just make sure you get the appropriate load range for the Cherokee.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

After the original equipment good year tires, I purchased a set of Toyo

100K miles tires and they are doing fine on the highway and they were much cheaper. After 30,000 or so miles they still have a lot of tread left. They are a softer tire and seems to handle better in slippery conditions than the orginal equipment tires.

Larry

Reply to
larry

Fred Mau did pass the time by typing:

Michelin LTX M/S Ran those on the ZJ for a looooong time. Great grip on ice and in the rain. Not so hot in mud, but still good.

Reply to
DougW

I really liked the Toyo 800 touring tires on my Subaru. Quiet, but with good wet road traction. I have the Michelin Cross Terrains 235/75s on the jeep for summer ... they're quiet enough for me ... a lot quieter than the Toyo Observe GO-2 ice/snow 225/75s I use in winter :-)

Reply to
bowgus

Oh yeah ... if you have alloy wheels, have a reputable shop install the new tires for you. They'll clean up/treat the rims and valve stem openings correctly to prevent that tire destroying slow leak problem.

Reply to
bowgus

I concur. Michelin X's are very well constructed, long wearing and quiet on asphault. Their X-Radial passenger car tire is much quieter than the LTX series however. The tradeoff is that it isn't for snow, off-roading or mud, and the load rating isn't as good.

I run the LTX M/S's on my TJL and I recommend them as a great pavement & snow tire. Forget about mudding or serious rock-crawling with them though.

If you're strictly a roadie, go with the passenger car rated X-Radial.

If you're a roadie and snow runner, go with the LTX M/S's.

I've had such phenominal luck with Michelin's that I won't recommend anything else. Decide carefully - either of these will last a very long time.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

I've been running GoodYear Wrangler HP's which are good on the highway and really quite. I'm on my third set at 175K miles.

Reply to
Bob_M

I was wondering when someone was going to recommend Michelin. I just replaced the factory installed set on my 1997 Ford Aerostar cargo van due to dry rot, still had half the tread left.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

DougW wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

I guess you answered your own question. I use my Wrangler for mostly highway use, except that "highway" use where I live, is considered "off road" by a lot of the flatlanders who come here in the tourist season. Mud and snow tires are pretty much obligatory here, if you don't want to run up a big tow bill. I deal with the noise level, by turning up the factory stereo. ;^)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I agree. I don't think QUIET should be the ultimate factor in picking a tire, especially for a Jeep, even though it will on-road only. Even as the OP mentioned himself, they are not the quietest interior noise level vehicles, so there is a tire noise level cutoff where it just won't matter anymore. So, picking the best 'quiet' tire and not the 'quietest' tire might be more helpful. In addition, the fact that he stated he will not venture off-road, the number of tires that would suit him just got exponentially larger, depending on his location as Earle points out.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

Earle Hort> I guess you answered your own question. I use my Wrangler for mostly

Reply to
twaldron

Yes, I see that. They look great until I see the price.... about $175 each.

I'm beginning to think the Toyo Eclipse - at about $75 each - may be quiet "enough" for me. All reviews I've seen indicate they're at least better than the Goodyear Wranglers that I have now.

- FM -

Brandonb wrote in news:e1k0g0$rvm$ snipped-for-privacy@news.netins.net:

Reply to
Fred Mau

Goodyear Wranglers are the worst tire I've ever used on a vehicle, period. The tire-guy even commented on this after he removed and inspected it. He said that they don't sell Goodyears because of the cheap, flimsy construction and paper-thin sidewalls. Noise is secondary here: decent construction methods/materials and a proven performance history are what sell tires to me.

If all you're after is a relatively quiet tire (compared to Wranglers), just about any light truck/passenger car touring tire will work fine. Blockier tread = more noise.

Reply to
JD Adams

I had Goodyear Wranglers on my Wrangler when it was new. They are a great snow and mud tire, but sure they are noisy on pavement.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The GY Wrangler line includes a LOT of different tires. For example, the GY MT/Rs are good, while the GSA's are not.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

JD Adams wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Goodyear GSA Wrangler's a great snow and mud tyre ? surely you jest...

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

If all you want is quiet then run slicks :-)

Tyre choice is always going to be a compromise. What you gain in low noise, you lose somewhere else.

There are pure highway SUV tyres such as the Michelin Diamaris, but they will get you nowhere off road. As well as asking which is the quietest you might also ask which is best for your typical use. If you are 100% on highway, then you don't need an off road capability, if you do off roading in mud you will need a different tyre from the guy who off roads in rocky desert (not got much of that across here).

You can almost guess the noise level of the tyre bu looking at its pattern, the blockier it is, the noisier it is. Many modern high performance road tyres are very grippy on tarmac, but have what they call a one-tread pattern, where there is only one leading edge to a single block pattern right around the tyre - they are as close to slicks as you can get.

If you buy the latest "model" of tyre then whatever you buy, on a like for like basis there isn't a lot between them. The differential is large though between old and new models and between mid range and budget tyres which can use old compunds, old designs and old technology.

Sorry to bore you, but you need to ask more than just about noise levels.

Ewan Scott

Reply to
Ewan Scott

The Wranglers I had were probably not GSAs. They were similar to the Cooper Discoverers I have now. They served admirably through several Washington and Colorado winters, and had plenty of tread left, when they were retired due to rock cuts. Although I use the Jeep primarily for getting around in the mountains, I cannot of course resist the temptation afforded by the plentiful old mining roads that exist up here.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton