Anyone with a crystal ball ?

Engines: Since the money for the Ultra and V12 projects was killed over

18 months ago <
>, are there any "insider" or "outsider" guesses as to where the vette might be heading ?

Hood Height: And, are we willing to add a couple of inches to hood height?

Boxer anyone ?

Reply to
pj

Holden may keep them going with their innovations but I think their chances are slim. Some of what they developed will stay in the GM cars but it will be begrudgingly accepted by the old school GM management.

Have very little contact with GM power train anymore as most of the people I knew that worked there have long since retired. Last I saw was the aluminum V10 engine and that has been more than 2 years ago.

GM will continue as they have in the past by doing as little as possible to get as many sales dollars as possible out of minimal expenditure. All the while sticking it to the dealers and the dealers will continue to pass it on to the customers.

In today's government environment the Corvette may have numbered days/years left.

Reply to
Dad

I still feel Corvette needs to break away from GM entirely and pick up that now orphaned Pontiac Solstice as a "price-point" offering.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

WOW my 79 may start to appreciate !! Finally

kickstart

Reply to
kickstart

I don't think the Corvette will go away. Maybe we can get some Pentagon General to claim there's a military need for such a car. As long as GM can make it profitably, and the last comment I heard was, "It pulls it's own weight," it will continue on.

AJM '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

Interesting -

nothing to advance a sound theory on GM's direction for Corvette. Production may make their decision for them....

1990 23,646 1991 20,639 1992 20,479 1993 21,590 1994 23,330 1995 20,742 1996 21,536 1997 9,752 1998 31,084 1999 33,270 2000 33,682 2001 35,627 2002 35,767 2003 35,469 2004 34,064 2005 37,372 2006 34,021 2007 40,561 2008 35,310 2009 16,956 2010 could be close to the 1997 production. When you're used to an income of $2 billion and it drops to $600 million with fixed/variable costs that don't go away you looks for some drastic moves to keep the bleeding in check. There is always a chance that they will pull up their knickers and run away from the dedicated Corvette following. Can you say Camaro, Fiero, Allante, Reatta, Firebird, Oldsmobile, Saturn, and Pontiac? Not to mention the throw away cars that they have dumped.

They need to dump Bob (what a joke) Klutz and Whitacre, before he takes them to the very bottom as he did ATT.

Reply to
Dad

If they do, I'll say a quick prayer that they don't hire Carly Fiorina.

The Corvette says something about GM, but you're right, it means more to the Corvette community. One question is whether the 'Vette's cachet helps other Chevy sales or not. Does anybody buy a Malibu instead of an Accord because it's made by the same company that makes the 'Vette. Very likely not. Another is, does the engineering in the Corvette make other GM cars better? I don't know.

AJM '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

Yes.... there is some "trickle down engineering" from the Vette program to the other GM products.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

I don't really car what happens to them. As long as I own a 1970 or earlier one since they are the only ones worth owning.

Reply to
Where is Roger Smith When you