C4 needs shocks - recommendations??

Hello all,

My 87 coupe just turned 70K miles and needs new shocks. It has the Z52 (not Z51) package. It has what I believe are the original Delco-Bilstein shocks.

Fuguring that there are others who've put new shocks on their C4 this season, I thought I'd troll to see what recommendations are out there. What are the good choices and which to stay away from? Any other considerations??

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Ed B.

Reply to
Ed Berns

It has what I believe are the original Delco-Bilstein shocks. But they are expensive -

Try Pep Boys or other auto parts house. Bilsteins are good, but I bought Gabriels at Pep Boys for $100, all four corners, guaranteed for life. I replace them every 30,000 miles or 3 years, whichever comes first, whether they need it or not. The ride quality is same as I remember from when the Bilsteins were in good shape. I have about 99K on my toy now, on my 3rd set of shocks.

Charlie

It has what I believe are the original Delco-Bilstein shocks.

considerations??

Reply to
Charlie Funk

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
RicSeyler

considerations??

Reply to
JOEVET

No problem at all. Just put the car up on jackstands or do one corner at a time. The top of the shock will have just one nut on the shaft, you might have to get a 1/4in wrench on the shaft to keep it from spinning with the nut. Or vice grips work just fine (at the top end of the shock shaft) But you need to have the wheel off the ground and the tire removed. With the gas shock you won't be able to get it off if the corner isn't off the ground (the suspension on the corner extended). And on the front shocks there is a nut on the lower bolts that is recessed into the lower control arm on the bottom, so put a socket on it or your lower bolts will just spin with you.

It's really a gravy job and a nice afternoon of messing with your Vette. And while your there you can paint the calipers and the rotor hats (centers) if you have wheels that show the brakes. I used to use BBQ paint on them til I used the 2 Part Epoxy (there is a certain brand I researched if, you are interested I'll pull out my receipts and let you know the brand, there is a difference), Red on the Calipers and Process Blue on the rotor hats. You get a couple GOOD brushes to apply, no spraying or brake removal. You can barely see the brakes in this pic.

http://pers> hOW EASY IS IT TO CHANGE THE SHOCKS? I t looks easy enough but that is one

Reply to
RicSeyler

Brand of paint would be much appreciated. Also, what did you use to clean the calipers before painting. My last caliper painting drill didn't hold up.

Paul H.

RicSeyler wrote:

Reply to
Paul H.

Hi all,

Thanks for the recommendations and feedback -- very helpful! I'm going to explore my options in this area (Connecticut) and will post what I find out if anyone is interested. My takeaway from your responses is that I shouldn't necessarily be married to the idea of Bilsteins as you've had good success with the aftermarket shocks.

Best regards, Ed B.

considerations??

Reply to
Ed Berns

http://pers Ed Berns wrote:

Hello all,

My 87 coupe just turned 70K miles and needs new shocks. It has the Z52 (not Z51) package. It has what I believe are the original Delco-Bilstein shocks. Fuguring that there are others who've put new shocks on their C4 this season, I thought I'd troll to see what recommendations are out there. What are the good choices and which to stay away from? Any other considerations?? Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Ed B.

Reply to
JOEVET

Reply to
RicSeyler

Reply to
RicSeyler

i had my bilsteins rebuilt by them (san diego). if you tell them you autox, they can put in custom valving.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Ed Berns wrote:

[...]

Charles Spitzer

Great-- thanks much.

Paul H

RicSeyler wrote:

Reply to
Paul H.

All, You guys are great!! Ed

Reply to
Ed Berns

It's really not that tough. Mostly take nuts loose, remember where they went, put replacement parts back in the same general orientation as the old part, and reinstall the nuts. The bigger issue is choosing the right beer and having enough on hand. For changing shocks, I like a Pilsner chilled to

38 F in a proper Pilsner glass. For replacing a cam or pulling heads off the toy, a Porter or other heavier beer in a mug works well. :o)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Funk

Hello all,

shocks. It has the Z52 (not

original Delco-Bilstein shocks.

new shocks on their C4 this

recommendations are out there. What

away from? Any other considerations??

help.

There is a dealer in Laurel Montana by the name of Ken Fitchner who participates on the Corvette Forum.

He and his staff give special discounts on parts to Corvette junkies so it might be worth your time to give them a call and see what kind of deal they can work for you

You probably could call information for that area or ask someone over at the CF.

Good luck

Reply to
Bababooey

Ed-

I have always used Gabriels from Pep Boyz. Last time around I opted for the famed much revered Bilstein's. Save your money. Saw zero difference, except the cost. Now, I'm sure the purists will disagree that when doing a 100' radius curve at 160 mph on a road full of potholes there is an advantage. But the laughable part vof that arguement is that MOST people drive on some side roads thru traffic light controlled intersections, and /or on freeways/tollways, basically a straight line.

But shock choice is smewhat personal preference, and almost a religious decision.

-GeorgeC

considerations??

Reply to
GeorgeC

Hi GeorgeC,

Well, I had just about decided to go with the Bilsteins -- until I read your post! Now I'm back to (re)considering the lower-priced spreads: KYB and Delco.

But, frankly, this is exactly the type of info I wanted when I posted.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your experience.

Ed B.

Reply to
Ed Berns