new shocks for '99 Chevy Silverado 4wd

We need new shocks for our '99 Silverado. It's a 1500, does not have the Z-whatever off-road package. Right now it's just mostly used for regular road driving, highway driving, and some two-track driving during hunting season. We don't tow anything, although my husband would like to get a 17-18 foot fishing boat. But as of now that has not happened.

He wants to know what shocks are good ones for this truck, for a comfortable ride. Is it worth it spending more on special-order brands, or are the ones at the local Auto Zone good enough?

Reply to
AJDupree

Pete Benfield

I've had good luck with Monroe sensa-trac. Got them last time at Kragen.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

I went the other route. The Bilstiens that came on my 96 Silverado from the the factory lasted 100k miles. I replaced them with Bilstien HD's and like them even more than the originals. A set of four ~$250 or less on line. You get what you pay for. The other shock that a long time poster here recommended a while back were the Gabriel Sport trac. I put those on my Blazer and they seem to be pretty good too. They were cheaper but the Blazer is a smaller truck too. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Are the Bilsteins only for trucks with a lift on it? Ours doesn't have a lift, and the guy at the parts store said they don't make Bilsteins for our truck. Ours is a Silverado 1500 Extended Cab, 5.3 8-cyl., no towing, no lift kit.

Reply to
AJDupree

Yes they do indeed make them for your truck.

JR

My truck is stock....no lift.

Reply to
Mike Copeland