C6 diecast ,or Corvette

Has anyone noticed the cheap plastic interior in the C6?

I was trying to open the glove box of my new '08 LS3; when, to my surprise, the cheap plastic toggle broke-off in my hand. It was the third time, I had ever use the glove box!

Look more closely at the seat back recliners; CHEAP PLASTIC! OK, I would come to expect it on Chevy Malibu; but a $55K corvette.

Mind you the mechanics are great. But, percentage wise, there is more hardware in a die-cast; than a corvette.

*** Sent via
***Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Reply to
Disappointed

Nope, never noticed it and I have used it often in the last 3 years as I have to lock my CCW in there when I go into any place to eat that serves liquor.

Never expected any plastic to be used on a plastic car?

Reply to
Dad

Hey, Dad-

I've been on reading this blog for 4 years, and 'you da' man'; so, if you say it, must be gospel!

But, it's still cheap plastic.

*** Sent via
***Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Reply to
disappointed

Given that you're correct, how much more do you pay for similar performance if you buy some other vendor's sports car? I'd rather put my $ in the engine, brakes and suspension than the seatbacks.

Didn't the warranty cover the glove box issue?

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

Reply to
Bob I

Although I expect most man made things to have some flaws seldom should it be every one made. Take some pictures of it and post them so it is more than just your loss and if others have the same issue there is a record of the fault. Following this group as you have you know I've lost a hood check, gas cap, and a hatch release switch, all dime store items and shouldn't happen and nothing visual to post. Niggling items that you replace under warranty and move on.

A major item like the tires that cup on the inside at 8/10,000 miles and have done so on both C5's and this C6, now that gets your attention at $500 + per rear tire. Finding a place that can align the car correctly is another issue, proof comes when they cup anyway. One Delco service center grunt came into the waiting room and ask me when I had rotated the tires the last time. My reply was, never and you need to get the car out in the parking lot so I can take it to a dealer that know the tires are corner dependant. All three of these Corvettes have been driven with non-runflats that have yet to cup, now at the replacement cost of these tires that's an issue, not so much so with a $3 plastic part. Watch them close, they're out of warranty by the time they get so noisy you can't hear yourself think in the car.

Expect the best, handle the rest.........

Reply to
Dad

My BMW Z4 was plastic.

Reply to
ScottO

If you want that super-luxury trim level along with the performance and handling of the C6 you've got to shell out a whole lot more $$.

The trim in my Infiniti G35(awd) had some 'imitation' elements. I'll admit though that, the emblem embroidery on the seat backs was a tad nicer than the embossed patterns on the 'vette seats. OTOH, the 'vette seats are probably more durable than those in the Infiniti.

Aside from the C5 being vastly more fun than the G35, it gets far better gas mileage (city or highway) and the Infiniti was more fussy about octane.

I drove an '07 last month. Trim is improved somewhat over my '02 but this isn't a Jag or Bentley and does not pretend to be. So far, none of the '02 interior has disintegrated.

I admire durability, utility and ruggedness in a car and I didn't buy a Corvette as a status symbol or to make my visual, tactile or olefactory sensors surge with ecstasy. Yeah, it does get admiring glances-- I can live with that.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Hey, bj

I agree. My 008 LS3 is a head-turner. Great race car design, and mechanics. Love the cross drilled rotors and the suspension upgrades; not to mention the 430 horse under the hood.

But, it's kind of like, they put a blanket with cheap trinkets over a race horse. You see the cheap plastic trinkets; before, you see the race horse.

Still, the best buy in the market for the money. I just think, while the interior is improved; they still have unfinished business.

Disappointed

008

*** Sent via

***Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Reply to
Disappointed

Tell me how much you like those crossed drilled rotors when you get some brake dust built up and a bit of rust in the cooling fins and try to wash the wheels. Did you notice that the fins run backward on one side? I run two sets of wheels and on the ones I run in the winter and rain I didn't get the rust/brake dust cleaned off on the inside of the rims as well as I do the other rim/tires. The rust/dust eats through the clear coat on the rims and starts to corrode.

What suspension upgrade? Parts are interchangeable on the C5. Brakes change, yes, suspension, no. The only real change in the suspension was the mounting of the front spring. Also even though they changed the rim to an inch bigger the tire diameters stayed the same, they didn't even want to change the computer programming if they went to bigger tires.

How do you think that horse would run with a stainless steel blanket?

Would you point out how the interior has been improved, I still can't see where that has been done. In fact I think they made a step or two backward on the dash finish and material, mine is still gassing off at over three years.

Just a quick heads up on the C6 design if you have a 6 speed manual, may have been changed, the newest I've driven is the '07 auto. If you hit something and kill the engine and someone wants to open the doors and get you out because you're unconscious, they won't open. Unless it is in reverse with the ignition off in the '05 the doors are locked and will not open from the outside or the inside. I make all of my passengers aware of the emergency handle on the floor before we move, but that only helps the conscious people inside the car, not EMS. What is the '08 like?

Also my '05, '04, '98, and '92 die cast Corvettes have plastic compartment doors/catches. ;-)

Reply to
Dad

that's expensive plastic :-)

Reply to
'Key

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:38:13 -0500, "Dad" puked:

I always laugh at the die cast steel models they sell of corvettes. Hel-LO! You have the license to make that one out of plastic...

lab~rat >:-)

OK, so you bought a carbon fiber coffin. At least you'll look good; when your dead, and can't get out from behind the wheel.

I got 008 standard. Sweet. No problems, except for the cheap plastic trinkets on the interior.

My cross drilled rotors cleaned up nicely, last week. Right a little bit of rust; but, they shine up new as a babies behind.

Disappointed

008

*** Sent via

***Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Reply to
Disappointed

Oops, it's not carbon fiber, and that should be "you're" not "your".

If you think they have cheap trinkets inside you should see what drives them.

Missed it again, it's not the rotors that don't clean up. You don't really have one, do you?

You had me believing you there for awhile.

Reply to
Dad

Sorry to hear about the out-gassing from the interior. Over the years, GM has had far less of than than the rice-cars.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Snip

It may be an incorrect description but that's what the dealer calls it, what it does is coat the inside of the glass and leaves an almost powdery white coating on the dash and door trim surface. If you touch it finger prints are very visible until you wash the entire surface and then it mega hard to not leave streaks. The C5 was not that way in the least. Not a big deal but I don't look at the C6 as being an improved interior, just different. My '87 Toronado was much worse but that had to do with the anti-lacerative windshield, and GM dumped that in one year.

Reply to
Dad

Blame The Feds. All Cars Have plastic. Less harm to humans during a crash. Saves weight which = higher MPG. All that started back in the

70's. Did you know that your Aluminum Radiator Tank was plastic too? Fred
Reply to
Fred C. Dobbs

Hey, Dad-

I'll meet you, and put my fake corvette LS3 up against your old ass '05 LS2. (Spelled: 'your')

Disappointed plastic trinkets

008

*** Sent via

***Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.

Reply to
Disappoint

From all this caterwauling about your car, it is safe to presume you would have had no problem or complaint in spending another 10K for it in order to get a gussied-up interior. Or do you just want something for nothing?

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

Not a Problem, if you have been reading this for 4 years as you say you know where I race, be there.

Reply to
Dad