Got my second Vette - oil question

Not quite sure where the claim is made by GM to change at 0% as my manual says to change it when the "Change oil soon" message comes up in the DIC in the C6. They also state that it should be changed once a years as a minimum. My guess is that GM considered the "kind of car it is" when they printed the manual and provided the oil life percentage monitor.

On the C5 the oil change interval changed as the series got older but as I recall it was at 7,500 miles in 1998 and as high as 14,000 on the 2004. The manual in one of the C5s said to change at 40% IIRC. With that in mind GM may have set the "Change oil soon" message at "0%" and changed it to read that way on the next year for the C6. One thing for sure is they have extended the oil change interval greatly in the last 8 or 9 years.

I've not seen the message come up yet as I change it at or near 10,000 or near

65%. At present I have 8,600 miles showing on the last oil change and a 78% reading on the monitor. Even that change interval depends on whether it has been driven hard or in dusty conditions. The only thing that would indicate that it needed to be changed in 5,000 mile is if it took a year to put that many miles on it indicating many short trips or lots of time parked.
Reply to
Dad

I think I will play it safe and stick to 5,000 mile increments. I use Mobil One Syn and drive about 1-2 times per week with no hard driving; though my brother reached

130 mph on the 1990 (crazy kid). To my surprise, the car appears to idle a lot smoother now and no dripping of any fluids (we have an 87 IROC that will drip like crazy when picked up over 100 mph).

Empty3

Reply to
Empty3

Dad's right-on with his comment.

Keep in mind that synthetics are more hygroscopic than most conventional lube oils. The suck in and carry more water. If it's all short trips that's a bad. Change interval should be shorter for synthetics than for conventional oil. If the car gets heated up properly on every drive, 5K is a waste and the oil should be pushed right out to 10-14K miles (remembering to regularly top up the crankcase level).

Most synthetics have excellent anti-foaming properties so hold up well at sustained high speed.

Reply to
PJ

I don't know a dang thing about oil; but I figure a synthetic change at Jiffy Lube or the local Chevy dealer is like $50 so doing one every three months is no big deal. Well; other than it keeping us from going to golf courses for an hour....

Reply to
Snappo

Algorthym, alogorthym, algorthym...Gm's design on Oil Life relies on A programmed algorthym to determine when the oil needs to be changed. It DOES NOT perform any type of sampling or test of the oil itself. Some foriegn cars are using an actual sample/ dielectric conductance test to determine it's actual condition. GM's as for right now uses data input from various sensors such as RPM, coolant temp sensor, TPS and probably IAT (inlet air temp) as well as time of engine run/stop aka (short trip drive cycles) to determine "LIFE EXPECTANCY" of the oil.

MOBIL 1 is excellent, and really all oils do not wear out per say, they become contaminated with blow by or oxidize or nitrated from contaminates such as water from condensation or chemical reaction induced by engine temp along with dirt (silica) and unburned fuel, along with wear metals such as iron and lead, copper, tin etc.

My advice is follow the guidelines of the OEM and confirm your intervals with oil sampling and lab analysis. Trust me the report you get does not lie! Two samples or so ought to let you know how the life monitor equates to your driving style and when it REALLY needs to be done.

Some good free reading on all of this and virgin and used oil samples which vary tremendously can be found for your education on BOBISTHEOILGUY.COM.

After spending a few hours there your head will swim with questions and answers. But the lab results posted independently from users answer a bunch of questions on life and quality over time.

Hope this sheds a bit of light on the subject.

Reply to
noone

Don't go to Jiffy Lube, to many nightmares there. Changing a full synthetic oil at 3 momths or 3,000 miles is just dumb.

Reply to
Andy

Then I am a dumb person who has cars that are fairly old and still pretty much brand new. My cars get oil changes every 90 days and the dealer goes through them front to back to tell me if I ever need anything. I would note that I have been driving from 1976 through present; and have never had a General Motors vehicle strand me on the side of the road for any reason whatsoever. I believe that is due to the high quality of the product and to my dilligence with regard to changing all fluids and replacing any part that is close to it's MTBF even if it works (and maybe a bit of good fortune). I let GM tell me what to replace; but I am pretty religious about getting my oil done every 90 days on all of my vehicles (SUV's and a Corvette).

Reply to
Snappo

"never had a General Motors vehicle strand me" :-) then you must not put many miles on them. also, your 90 day synthetic oil change is a waste of good $$$'s. you must really like throwing your $$$'s away :-) bet your dealer really loves ya !

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

I have had vehicles make it to 150,000 miles before selling them; but that's not the point. The point is I have never had a GM vehicle strand me.

Since time immorial; cars manuals always said 3K miles or 3 months; whichever comes first. Using that policy never failed me.

No - I like to keep my vehicles mint.

Of course they do. I never neglect the vehicles they pride themselves in selling.

Reply to
Snappo

That would take me 20 years or more.

This just in: I don't care. I like the algorythm I have for car maintenance; and it works like a charm. If I went to 10K miles like GM suggested and ran into a problem; I am quite sure you would not be feeding me a check for $8K for a new crate motor and apologizing. So; since you have no skin in the game.........

That's their job.

Yeah - and I am not starving and my car keeps running. My evil plan of maintaining my vehicle and keeping my tummy full is working.

Reply to
Snappo

Mine says 7,500 miles not 3,000 miles. 3,000 mile oil changes were started by quick lube places to get you to buy other stuff at more profit for them.

Reply to
Andy

Informative, thanks!

Empty3