Heating/Cooling Display Dim on 2000 C5

The subject display is very dim and very hard to see during the day. If I turn on the headlamps, the display will dim and come up when I turn up the display rheostat, but the display will be no brighter than the dim daylight display.

Anyone have experience on this one. Not critical - I know which knob to turn when I am cold or hot.

Bob Drake, Alex., VA 2000 C5

Reply to
Blue C5

Parts made in China, soldered in Mexico to a circuit board from Taiwan by hands with donkey poop on them. All that adds up to a bad solder job that come loose. It can be a DIY job if you can solder a clean joint.

The last site has a link to a pictured repair job on the Corvette forum under C5 tips, nice site.

Reply to
Dad

Thanks Dad - Looks really easy. I have the soldering skills and an adjustable temperature soldering station.. Excellent site. I like the test procedure - solder - plug it in - check for brightness - redo

- until you have it.

Reply to
Blue C5

Ditto on the above. Mine got so bad I could not read the display. I pulled the unit and took it to a business that had people with surface mount soldering skills. They touched up the solder joints and cleaned up the board. I plugged it in and has been working perfect for two years. The pictures on Corvette Forum were great.

2001 Black 6-Speed Coupe
Reply to
aRKay

What a great forum. I posted a problem with my dim display and got answers you would expect to find in the Service manual. Disassembling to get the AC display out was just under an hour with no problems. It was clear that one of the resistors was loose and needed soldering. Instead of seven, there were eight, which indicates my 2000 had the

2001 board in it. No better than the previous board I think. I touched up all the solder joints as recommended and reinstalled the display - you can check it out before you close it up.. Nice and bright. Reassembled in about 45 minutes and the car is good to go. Thanks again especially Dad who referred me to the repair procedure.
Reply to
Blue C5

Good to see a reply on how it worked for you. I can't solder for beans, weld up a storm but still can't master soldering.

Reply to
Dad

Try having a drink first to stop your hands from shaking.

-W (runs like hell)

Reply to
Clams Canino

So alcohol is your answer, good for you. I did quit free style pistol shooting because I can't stay on target, now do combat shooting so I can use 2 hands. You can't run fast enough. ;-))

Reply to
Dad