Identification of General Motors V8 small block engines.

When I was working in the Middle East I bought 2 Corvettes and as I had con tacts with a car breakers Yard and they could not pay me for work I did, se veral times they took old Chevrolet small block engines out of abandoned or rear damaged cars for me and as I had free shipping too. I sent several of these back to UK. I had to sell the 1970 350 Corvette to pay my bills as w ell as a lot of other stuff that I hoped would make my retirement a bit mor e bearable. I now have 5 or 6 small block engines some literally as taken o ut of cars to others dismantled complete in packing cases. I would like to turn these into money but I do not know how to identify them. Is the full identity of an engine available from the serial number and if so where is i t? I also have two Cadillac engines one is from a 1979 Diesel. Yes that is correct a 5.7 litre diesel V8 together with the automatic transmission. I d o not think it was very successful, with no turbo or super-charger!

A friend of mine had a Cadillac that had petrol injection and that caught f ire and so he bought a diesel car to prevent that happening again, but he g ave the car to me and I used the back axle to make a heavy duty trailer, in which I sent a big stationary engine back to UK, and which I am still usin g. The other is,- I think from a big Oldsmobile which had a big block engin e which looked exactly like the 8.2 litre I had in my Cadillac 1972(?) Limo , so I saved this too, but again I need to find the exact parameters of thi s engine to find the right customer. I did think of making a sort of Hot Ro d for it but it used to get about 10 MPG so it probably would be a bit expe nsive to run in UK! I live in Norfolk and some of the roads are a bit narr ow too.

Does anyone know the answer to the above question about identifying these e ngines.

Thanks and regards George.

Reply to
George

Engines are generally all stamped on a machined pad. A letter code tells more information about the engine. Castings and components may have date codes that tell the approximate date of mfg and model year car it was from. Buy a book or go to hobby sites (Oldsmobile clubs) to find out info from the engine pad stamping number. The 5.7L diesel was garbage. Injection pump likely has failed. Very common.

Most Chevy small blocks are not really desirable anymore. The LS engines have replaced them

Reply to
unclevito