Is there an article somewhere??

That lists all the 68isms that changed from 1969 forward? Or perhaps a paper that covers the running changes in general to the C3?

I know about: the key on the dash the 4 red tail lights the door opener button the small cluster bezel the lack of a headrest the 2 "pockets" in the e-brake cover

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

I ran across such a site quite some time ago. Ill try and find it for you. In addition to the list you made, the 1968 was known for the following anomolys :

1.Common overheating with the BB engine .
  1. Body integrity issues.

1968 and 1969 both had round exhaust tips . It was changed to rectangular exhaust tips for 1970 .

Reply to
IlBeBauck

Heres some additional trivia for the C3 covering changes, etc...:

1968 to 1982

Pontiac almost beat Chevrolet to the Coke bottle design body, with their 1965 Banshee, a two seater convertible sports car that would have been hefty competition for the Corvette. GM stopped it, and then Pontiac president John DeLorean later became president of Chevrolet.

T-top does not refer to the shape of the roof, but rather it is short for Targa Top. The original design was a pure Targa but body flex demanded the center bar, discovered late in the design.

Due to policy changes in Chevrolet, Corvette was treated like all other car lines for the first time, and quality dropped drastically. With bad publicity in most magazines, policy was re-thought and Chevrolet quickly restored independence and quality to Corvette within a few months, but all 1968s carry the stigma of being "the worse quality" of all Corvettes.

All big block manifolds were redesigned to actually sink into the lifter valley as the hood clearance was less than in '67 and back. As such, a 1965 to 1967 big block intake manifold won't fit in a 1968 or newer Corvette with a stock hood and air cleaner.

The exception to the above was the L-88. It retained the high rise manifold and also received a special hood, which was externally different this time.

Emission control equipment was installed on the first 1968's in the fall of 1967 even though the federal law required it only as of January 1, 1968.

1968 was the first year AM/FM stereo was offered as an option.

1968-1972 the coupe's rearwindow was removeable for more of a true convertible experience

The Sting Ray name was not used on the 1968 Corvette, but returned in

1969=85 Spelled Stingray.

Corvette had its first all aluminum engine in 1969 as the ZL-1. It was not the first GM automobile to do so, beaten by the Corvair in 1960 and the Buick 215 V8.

In 1969, the ignition lock was moved from the dash to the steering column. It would remain there until 1997 when it was returned to the dash.

The LS7 engine option, which was never installed in the 1970 Corvette was $3000.

No Corvettes were painted Black at the factory from 1970 to 1976.

The only outside difference between the 1971 and a 1972 Corvette is the appearance of the amber front turn signals and vertical chroming on the egg-crate grills both on the 1972 - that's it. Minor stuff most people miss.

1972 was the only year for Corvette "Big Block" engines in the 1968 to 1972 range to have no horse power sticker on the air cleaner lid.

"Pewter Silver" was only offered as an exterior color in 1972.

The 1970 - 1972 Corvettes were the last to feature chrome bumpers front and rear. In 1973, the front bumper changed to body-colored flexible plastic. In 1974 the rear bumper followed suit.

In 1973, aluminum wheels were again available as an option, but the same problem that plagued the 1963 aluminum wheels, the inability to hold air, kept these out of the hands of customers until 1976.

The rear view mirror in the 1974 Corvette was increased to a width of

10".

The last true dual exhaust was installed in 1974, after that, everything went through a catalytic converter.

1974 rear bumper was 2 pieces, 1975-1982 used a one piece unit.

The awesome 454ci engine was only offered for 5 years.. 1970, 71, 72,

73, and 1974

Gymkhana Suspension was first introduced in the 1974 Corvette.

1974 was the last year the Corvette would be produced to run on "leaded" gasoline.

1975 first year for HEI distributor.

1975 was lowest production year for convertibles for those years that offered both convertibles and coupes.

1976 Corvette used the same steering wheel as a Chevrolet Vega for the "Sport Wheel" Option.

1977 last year for the notch back shark.

In 1977 crossed flags returned to the nose and sides of the Corvette.

1977 saw the redesign of the center console to accept standard Delco radios, the first year that Corvette didn't have a Corvette only radio.

The '78 Pace Car was "Black and Silver" was because it photographed well. Back then, most magazine articles and ads were still done in Black & White!

The body in 1978 was widened in the rear fender area. This was discovered by customizers when converting '78 and newer coupes to convertibles after the convertible production ended in 1975.

1979 Corvette's highest production year.

By Federal mandate, the 1980 Corvette was the first Corvette to have an 85 MPH speedometer.

1981 the first Corvette to use a computer.

The 1981 Corvette had two cooling fans to increase engine power.

In 1981, Corvettes were produced with two different types of paint. Lacquer was applied at the St. Louis plant, and enamel was applied at the new Bowling Green plant.

In 1982 fuel injection reappeared in the Corvette after a 17-year hiatus

Reply to
IlBeBauck

Or you could give him the web site and let him know where it came from instead of copy/pasting the whole thing here.

Good site but is no kept up any longer.

Reply to
Dad

The OP asked for only C3 years which is why I chose to CCandP only the C3 years from the Idavette Site.

Reply to
IlBeBauck

*The OP asked for only C3 years which is why I chose to CCandP only *the C3 years from the Idavette Site.

Or you could give him the web site and let him know where it came from instead of copy/pasting the whole thing here.

Reply to
Dad

.

Thats your perogative.

Reply to
IlBeBauck

OP, this makes for some good reading on C3's too.

IlBeBauck

**Thats your perogative.

Sorry Dave, it's not my perogative or my prerogative but giving credit where credit is due. Much better than allowing someone to think it was your information and also directs then to more information so they can learn more with less questions. You see that web site is not being kept up? Why do you think that is, lack of recognition? Do you get the point?

Just do the right thing.

Reply to
Dad

Given his post immediately preceding the info, as well as the syntax of the info, I never presumed that he hadn't found the site he was looking for.

That said.... a link is nice.... to see the source and for further exploration.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

You didn't wonder what that site was? You did ask if there was an article somewhere, did his post tell you "where"?

Newsgroups etiquette from many sites ask to keep quoted text to a minimum and to indicate it as such. This groups is unmoderated and therefore gets those that break most guidelines at one time or another. There are a few that still post in html to a non-binary group knowing it is unacceptable. Most of the time those errors are tolerated as trying to correct the offender is normally futile. Obviously it's not my place to police this group, it was meant as a suggestion that I was sure would be viewed as criticism and/or ignored. I still like to see order in what is being done, you know like, lets put a piston in each one of those 8 holes.

That said it is sad to see a site like

start to wither and most likely die. At some point someone with a true Corvette passion spent unending hours keeping the site up to date and now (2002) it has stopped. Most likely that person is gone or at least occupied by more pressing endeavors.

Reply to
Dad

I never said nor was it my intention for others to think it was 'my' information that i posted ; the OP was only interested in C3's and not all the info on the Ida Site so I chose to CCP just the info he was interested in. Dont you think you were a little presumptuous ?

Reply to
IlBeBauck

**I never said nor was it my intention for others to think it was 'my' **information that i posted ; the OP was only interested in C3's and **not all the info on the Ida Site so I chose to CCP just the info he **was interested in. Dont you think you were a little presumptuous ?

What are you trying to defend Dave? You don't understand do you? Chip, chop, and plop is an uninformed man's way of doing things. Was just trying to help, don't let that keep you from doing it your way.

Reply to
Dad

U just can't help someone that fukin' S T U P I D

Reply to
Ken

OK LADIES!!! That's enough.

Back slowly away from the keyboard and put both hands on the sterring wheel where I can see them. :))

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

Im trying to defend the fact that a person has the liberty of getting information across anyway in which he deems acceptable and proper, in order to help another ; CCP is one such useful way in highlighting information requested. Youre acting like you have OCD . Thanks for trying to help, but you really should not focus so much on rigidness accompanied with defamation concerning something that is relatively minor. As for Ken, happy anniversary Ken ....its our 10 year anniversary of you stalking me everytime i make a post in a NG. via Google Alert Notifications.

Reply to
IlBeBauck

"But Offaslur...I'm not nearly as think as you drunk I am"

"That may be true.....What's your name, Sir?'

"RALPH"

Reply to
Ken

VIm trying to defend the fact that a person has the liberty of getting Vinformation across anyway in which he deems acceptable and proper, in Vorder to help another ; CCP is one such useful way in highlighting Vinformation requested. Youre acting like you have OCD . Thanks for Vtrying to help, but you really should not focus so much on rigidness Vaccompanied with defamation concerning something that is relatively Vminor. As for Ken, happy anniversary Ken ....its our 10 year Vanniversary of you stalking me everytime i make a post in a NG. via VGoogle Alert Notifications.

I understand Dave, the flesh can be weak can't it. Live life as you chose and not in accordance with any guidelines. That's the way the atheists do it, isn't it? As I remember the newsgroup etiquette is a guideline to follow if you want to use it in a proper and civil manner.

Sort of like driving a Corvette over it's capabilities; or 55 in the fast lane, or without other drivers welfare in mind. It's your car and you can drive it like you want, it's your liberty in question at some point.

Reply to
Dad

It's not beertender - it's bartender. It's not a dribble - it's a double. It's not a martooni - it's martini. It's not a pickle - it's an olive.

And you don't have heartburn - your left tit is in in the ashtray.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino