Re: GM crisis ... and your thoughts buying a new Corvette now

That is one of the bad things that happen to companies that

> advertise they are going out of business. They have a more > difficult time selling equipment that needs them around to service > them. > > However, whenever there is money to be made, someone will provide. > There will always be a need for GM parts and service. If GM doesn't > provide them then an aftermarket company will. > > I say go ahead and buy the Corvette. Personally I am waiting for a > 5 L Vette with a 7500+ rpm rev line. 4 valves per cylinder, > variable intake and exhaust timing, direct injection, OH cam and a > whole lot less weight. > > I guess I will just keep waiting. One of these days, GM will be > slightly more elegant in the way it develops horsepower. > > Vito >

I think they are already doing that although not in a 5 liter or Corvette. Myself I'd never touch one that has an OH cam, not required as I see it. What was that short lived Corvette with the boat motor that doubled the price? What does NASCAR have for a rev limit on their V8?

"General Motors has released the first details and images for its new Chevrolet Cruze, which is scheduled to make its world debut at this October?s Paris Motor Show. Joining the recently launched Insignia sedan, the new Cruze has been developed from the ground-up as a global model and will eventually be sold in Europe, North America and Asia.

The Cruze has been designed for the European market and will be available with two gas engines and one diesel engine upon its launch in March next year. The gas engines measure 1.6 and 1.8L and develop

112hp (82kW) and 140hp (103kW) respectively. Both feature variable valve timing on the inlet and exhaust sides to improve fuel economy and boost low-end performance. The oil-burner is a 2.0L turbodiesel and develops 150hp (110lW) and 320Nm of torque. A five-speed manual will be fitted as standard but a new six-automatic will also be available.

The North American version of the car will replace the current Cobalt and is set to receive its own powertrain lineup and trim options. Power for the American version is expected to come from a 1.4L turbo four-cylinder that?s good for 40mpg (5.88L/100km) on the open road, and likely to get close to 30mpg (7.8L/100km) in city use. Production will be handled at GM?s Lordstown assembly plant in Ohio, most likely in early 2010, with first sales to start soon after.

Built around the Delta 2 platform - the first GM vehicle to use the new architecture - the Cruze will be the forerunner of the replacements for many of GM?s cars around the world including the HHR, the Cobalt and Opel?s Zafira. For the Asian market the car will be badged as a Daewoo and is expected to go on sale about the same time as the North American version."

Reply to
Dad