corvette in Rush Hour 1 and 3

I just saw Rush Hour 3 and I think they had the same Corvette used in a previous Rush Hour movie (1 I think).

Anyway, does anyone know what model year Corvette is used in the movie? And for that generation Corvette, what is the most often recommended model year?

Reply to
robert

If its that black corvette the guy drives, it looks to be an early C3 ; (1968,69,70,or 71 would be my guess but id have to see the back of it to narrow it down). As to which is the 'most popular' in the C3 generation...that title would have to go to the chrome bumper Corvettes which were 1968 to 1972 (plus 1973 having only a rear chrome bumper with rubber front bumper) ; the most desired C3's today are the Big Blocks in the above years in addition to the high-winding small block LT-1 of 1970 . The last real high performance engine for the C3 generation was the Big Block LS6 found in 1971 ; after that, the engines got detuned/lower compression'd drastically to meet Federal Guidelines . It wasnt until the mid-1980's (C4) that good performance was on the rebound for the Corvette.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
dave

1972 bastardized with black paint and fugly wire wheels. Motor bling to make it go faster that is hitched up to an automatic. Not a well done car as was the movie from what I hear but followed in the money making footsteps of the first 2. Was up for sale on eBay with it's major selling point being the signatures of who ever it was in the movie.

You paid to go see the movie??

Reply to
Dad

Damn Dad go easy...

LOL

Reply to
ZÿRiX

Hey, take a look at that engine compartment and tell me it's a $50,000 car.

was being easy, so don't piss me off............. ;-))

Reply to
Dad

I have to agree thats pretty sick but when I first opened the page there was a 66 vert at the top that was very nice and clean...

Reply to
ZÿRiX

You have to remember there are a few groups when it comes to Corvettes:

  1. Purists - die hard NCRS everything as factory types.
  2. I don't know what to call them - People who basically think the Corvette is hard to improve on, so it is mostly stock, if not original, however, things like wheels, or having an NOM that is dressed up to look stock, are still a good thing.
  3. Customizers - Corvette is the canvas and from there they design. Some good, some bad, some Corvette Summer.
  4. Hot rodders - It isn't so much looks as speed, power, and performance.
  5. Non-Corvette people - They know that Corvettes are special but have no reason why themselves; that they are worth a lot of money so the one they own must be, too; that for every dollar you spend on one, it will bring back at least a .05 and hopefully . They have no concept that modifications can actually lower the market value. They are easily distracted by shiny objects or fancy names. (They probably watched every minute of the Paris jail saga.) They have no concept of the work in a restoration or that an unrestored non-stock driver is any different than a body off full restoration. This is by far the biggest group.

So group 5 has a car like this, and loves it. It is a movie car, so it is forever going to increase. :-( Adding some junk will increase it more, like a little flash and chrome. Some of them wouldn't be objectionable to those rotating wheel covers even.

To show the power of a movie, try this link:

Or just search Item 200126643267 on eBay if the link is broken.

A rough rusted, bondoed, repainted '77 Camaro should be a tenth of this price or less. But it is a current movie car. Five or ten years from now, it might easily be much, much cheaper, but right now, Group 5 is at work.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

As far as to why people buy them.......

  1. They just like the car and could care less if it says Corvette on it.

  1. They bought it because their dad/mom/wife had/wanted one.

  2. They liked the color, shame on you for forgetting one of the buying mentalities so near and dear to us.

  1. Their neighbor has a smaller one.

  2. Last but not least, they bought the damn thing to drive.

The Camaro you use as an example is a charity auction and nothing more, look at the shipping cost. Did you take a look at what the supposed buyer has been buying?

Reply to
Dad

Ah, but you overlooked:

(let's wedge this in as number 8.5)

8.5. Looking for something unusual or gaudy for donation or bequest to the Imperial Palace car museum in Las Vegas. Cheapest way to put their name on a plaque in Sin City.

-- pj

Reply to
PJ

snip

Gotta give you that, forgot about ego and tax deductions.

Reply to
Dad

All I get is the "This listing (170036592351) has been removed or is no longer available." page since the auction was from last year, so it can't be seen now. I have no idea what it sold for. It is got because it is so old. Normally eBay makes them disappear from the search after a month or so. Occasionally you can find them longer by a URL or a item number, if you have that. But with the millions of listings that come in, they simply remove them at a certain age to free up storage space.

Matthew McConaughey sold a '71, I think, early this year and the price went out of sight for what the car was. Many of these celebrity cars in their initial selling are for charity, since they would be hit with negative press, and miss an opportunity for positive press, tax deductions, and so on. After making the millions that Transformers made in the last several weeks, did they need to sell the prop car for $40,000 because they were strapped for cash? No, but they got a good tax deduction, they got more publicity, they got more thinking about Transformers again a few weeks after the initial release, and it was a win-win for the sellers.

I never thought anything about the Rush Hour engine compartment on my first look. It was simply an old engine compartment with a few chrome goodies tossed in. It is far from restored or refurbished, and just looks like a driver. But then, people don't buy these for their restored value. And for some reason, there are several on different forums who have been asking about this car and wanting to duplicate it if they couldn't find it. Can't figure out why, it just looks like a black '72 convertible to me. Maybe that is why it didn't go that high. Far too easy to duplicate with any '70-'72 convertible and a set of wheels.

After seeing Transformers several weeks ago, I did a search on '74 to '77 Camaros. The prices were up from what they were a few months ago. Some is that Camaro prices have been climbing, but many mentioned "Transformers" in the ad.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

I would think that it may be a more valuable car in the future much more so than a B movie prop from Rush Hour 3. Then to I'm certainly not a fan of the second and each subsequent movie he made. Really, how many times can you dress up a pig in different clothes and re-sell it as new, there are millions of reasons ($) why but come on.... Although you still see some copies of the Corvette used in Corvette Summer which leaves me with a chill every time I see one. We are shallow, are we not?

I didn't think the maker of the movie sold it but the prop company did. The timing may be worked out for the added recognition of the movie after release.

Except they didn't make any black '72 convertibles which is changed at will. Although you still see some copies of the Corvette used in Corvette Summer it still leaves me with a chill every time I see one. That car is a work of Art, the drunk down the street. Obviously I'm not in love with the movie or the car so my opinions will give way to the foolish dollars someone will spend to get their fix. On the other hand I doubt that it will end up in a time capsule for the future enjoyment of our present day class.

Camaros are and will be good sellers and last night at the cruise in I was talking to a young man that has a back field full of '80's carcasses that he is stripping out and selling parts. Said he's making a killing, guy talk. After he gets done with them he sells the remains to the local race crowd.

Reply to
Dad

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:06:56 -0400, "Dad" puked:

I saw that they had the original Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with extended wings and helicopter blades for sale at one of the big auctions. I wonder what that went for. Not exactly something you drive down the street...

-- lab~rat >:-) Stupid humans...

Reply to
lab~rat >:-)

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:52:25 -0400, "lab~rat >:-)" puked:

I looked it up:

$505,000

I would have thought it would have gone for more considering Chevelles have gone for that much at auctions...

-- lab~rat >:-) Stupid humans...

Reply to
lab~rat >:-)

Why not???? ... yeeeh hawww ............. ;-))

Reply to
Dad