Re: OT- prepping car for daughter at college

Get the car registered in her name as soon as she is 18. You do not need the liability for her driving.

I also have the insurance and all in my kids' name. All insurance payments come from the kid and I reimburse the kid. I do not want my name anywhere if there is a lawsuit.

I live in California, btw.

Had one kid crash when car was still registered to me. You haven't lived until you are on the dirty end of a lawsuit.

Vito

ZRiX wrote: >>>> Just to be upfront, my daughter doesn't have a Corvette but I thought >>>> since this group has a bunch of car enthusiasts, they might still be >>>> willing to help another car owner (I hope). >>>> >>>> She wants to take her small car (corolla) to college which is about 2 >>>> hours from home (in Austin, Texas). She isn't too car inclined so I >>>> want to prep the car for the moderate winter there and mild spring. >>>> Actually the car is in near mint condition (4k miles on a 2004 model >>>> and garage kept to date). I think the only things I want to do is >>>> check fluids (maybe change oil, check belts and fluids, check tires, >>>> change battery). I was thinking of getting her AAA membership in >>>> case. Her car will be kept outside under a metal covered roof at an >>>> apartment complex. It is insured presently just for liability (I >>>> think $500 ded). >>>> >>>> Any other ideas or thoughts? thanks all. >>> >>> you could add full coverage insurance. >>> if you're not worried about insuring the car ? >>> why worry about anything else about the car ? >>> >>> my2" >>> -- >>> 'Key >>> ===== >> >> I agree with key about the full coverage Ins, >> I also think AAA is a great thing to have, >> just make sure she remembers she has it... >> >> Now on the lighter side of things, You might >> get her a set of nice rims and tires to put a >> little style into that small family style car... >> >> ZyRiX > > Texas is a better place to be than attorney-infested California. But, > check that the liability on that policy will cover up to your own umbrella > limit or a large chunk of your personal assets. Out of town attorneys can > be a real PITA if she has a fender-bender. > > Usually deductibles apply to comprehensive or collision coverages, not > liability so it sounds like you've got some coverage on the vehicle. If > you switch 1000 deductible on the collision and comprehensive you can > probably raise the liability limit and save a buck or two. > > Remind her to add the AAA number to her cellphone. > > -- > pj >
Reply to
Uncle_vito