Secret Vin Numbers

A few years ago I purchased Delorean that was a stolen/insurance recovery...after I restored it I had to have in inspected by the State of New York..this was NOT a safety inspection ..it was an inspection to verify the VIN numbers on the car.to obtain a new title...They took it into a state inspection facility that was sealed off to public view and stripped the car down to what ever level it took to verify all the Vin numbers..took about

2-3 hours. Also had that done to a Fireo I purchased later on...for example..on GM cars they remove the dash assy and check anotherVIN plate number that is attached to the frame under the window Vin plate..also they check the vin rivets to see if they have been tampered with. Many other secret places they check..I have been told there is a manual that shows where all the Vin codes are stamped...Now when you restore a car in NY with major used parts you must show a bill of sale for those parts and they check the vin numbers on all those major body panels/parts to see if they were from a stolen vehicle.
Reply to
grayfox

Once went to register a '58 in a new state - on those cars, the vin plate is philips-head screwed to the engine side of the steering shaft and seen by merely popping the hood. The clerk said that there's no way this plate was original to the car and had clearly been tampered with since manufacturers didn't use simple philips screws. Had to go home to rummage through my "library" to come up with a description of where and how the VIN was attached for a '58 - I believe it was with MF Dobbins' help. Took that in and left with the new registration paperwork.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats