Service Steering Column

Ok, I've got the dreaded "SERVICE STEERING COLUMN" on my 2004 Z06. Other than I need to go to the dealer and fight with them over warranty coverage, what does this error message usually mean? The steering column adjustment and lock up when you turn off the key seem ok. The ignition seems ok.

Ed.

Reply to
Spud

Does it say "SERVICE STEERING COLUMN" or "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK"?

Reply to
Don

Mine says "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK" ever since the dealer did the recall... It comes on the DIC every time I start the car they had it for months and could not find out why it is doing that, So I just clear it every time, It runs great I just hate to see that message every time...

Reply to
ZÿRiX

I have Michelin Pilot Sport runflat tires and after 20,000 miles of non-stop "LOW TIRE PRESS LR", "LOW TIRE PRESS RR", I have completely tuned out the DIC. Won't miss that when Goodyears go back on it.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

You know why the system won't read the pressure? You don't need Goodyear tires.

Reply to
Dad

The system works fine. The problem is, the Michelin rear tires balded in the center at the GM recommended pressure. I've been running them at 22psi hoping to get some more life out them. Thus the tire pressure warnings. This seems to be a common issue with those tires. It's a shame since otherwise they're the best tires I've ever used.

A shiny new set of Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Seasons are already stacked in the corner of the garage waiting to go on. It's due for the state inspection next month so I'll have them installed at the same time.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Now I'm even more confused than I was before. First off GM does not recommend a tire pressure for any tire other than the OEM tire. A quick call to them will get the buck passed to Michelin for their recommendation. Michelin will most likely tell you to use the pressure recommended by the automobile manufacturer for the appropriate tire. In other words you got to make your own decision for the tire pressure. Been there, done that and the seller of the tire requests that you sign a release for a tire that is not OEM. That has held true for the last 4 sets of tires I've purchased for the C5 and C6 of which only one replacement set was Goodyear runflats.

The only way I've been able to get a near correct tire pressure for the non OEM tires I've used was to check the recommended tire pressure on an automobile that uses the tire I wanted to use, (Audi-Mercedes). Only issue in doing that is that there are very few cars that use different tire sizes front to rear. Then it needs to be tweaked a bit to get it to handle normally. The softer walls on the Goodyear F1 all season tire will feel spongy in any hard handling situations. Kinda scary the first time it happens to you so be aware, (they feel like the are all flat).

Get a very consistent pressure gage and check tire pressure and wear often until you get then settled in and you'll have much better luck this time around.

Reply to
Dad

Is the recommended pressure loaded or off the car?

Venger

Reply to
Venger

There are 3 diff GM fixes for this problem, none of which work. The car will leave you stranded, it's not a matter of if but of when. There is a simple aftermarket fix called a CLB that costs $50 and takes 20 min to install. Look here for more than you ever wanted to know about this issue:

I have no connection to the firms that sell this thing but I do have one on my 02 Coupe.

Reply to
Don

"SERVICE COLUMN LOCK"

Ed

Reply to
Spud

Let me tell you my story with that. 2002 C5.

Never had a problem with it. Received a recall notice. Took to dealer. Had work done. Two weeks later, it locked in the tightest possible parking place at the worst angle possible for towing approximately

452523889433 miles from my house.

Thanks GM. Thanks alot.

Venger

Reply to
Venger

Thanks Don. I found this sentice in the link you posted:

"Low battery voltage seems to aggravate and sometimes cause column lock failures"

Well, I didn't drive the car for about 4 weeks and left the radar detector on. Had to jump it. Wasn't totally dead, it clicked. But the jump start must have started the problem.

I'm still under warranty and I guess there's a recall. But it says they don't put in the jumper in a ZO6. So I might have to fix it myself. I'll go over to the Chevy dealer next week and report back.

If you install the column lock bypass, does it disable the security system?

Ed

Reply to
Spud

Low voltage has been known to cause this problem.

The CLB has no effect on the security system. It merely plugs in place of the column lock servo motor and sends a signal to the BCM saying all is well with the column lock system.

Good luck

Reply to
Don

Dad, I run the Michelin ZP (Zero Pressure) run flats and have been soooo happy with them over the Goodyears. Much quieter. Bob

2000 C5
Reply to
ROBERT S AMP BA Drake

Not sure what you're telling me, I was answering a question, not asking one, but as always you trade one thing for another with tires. The tread design makes them more quiet, not the tire brand. Myself I gave up on Michelin a long time ago. To hard as they age and traction sucks. With their tread design they should be more quiet but don't try pushing them like you can the OEM, which is also a compromise.

Right now I'm running Goodyear, Dunlop, and Continental, of the three Continental is my choice followed by Dunlop and then Goodyear. Only problem is that Continental does not make an ContiEtremeContact in 19" for my C6 or I have them.

I must admit the price looks good on the Michlin ZP for the C5.

Here is some of the reviews from the Diaper owners.......

"They are heavy, have modest grip, and they wear out in 12,000 miles. All standard run flat characteristics. But, they won't leave you stranded if you have a flat. Which is why I bought 'em instead of more grippy choices that were avaialble. If I took the car to the track, this would have been a poor choice. But for the street, they made sense."

"The run flats on Vipers aren't called run-craps for nothing. My grandma on a 10-speed bike has better traction off the line than these tires give on a performance car. Their only positive quality is that they last a long time, but that just means that you have dangerously bad tires for a long time. I'm changing to PS2 or PSCups."

"As with the front tires on my Viper there isnt much choice in what tires to get. This is my third set of PS2s for the 19 in rear wheels of my Viper, and these are excellent tires unless you get onto snow or ice...then you go nowhere at all. Not surprising. Tread life was

14,000 miles for the first set, the second set went over 16,000. About what one expects based on the experience of other Viper owners."

If your happy that's what counts, not what other people think.

Reply to
Dad

First off I want to thank you for turning me onto this little CLB or CLS as the company calls it... Ok here is what happened, I went out to the garage to start it up and the battery was dead, pulled the battery and took it to a local shop to charge it, Got it back 4 hours later, got home and she cranked right over BUT had a "Pull key wait 10 seconds" warning and "SERVICE COLUMN LOCK" So I tried all of the pull key 10 seconds, pull fuse 23, pull fuse 25 NOTHING would let me move over 2 miles an hour without shutting down the engine... So I start making calls and everybody has all of these strange things to do like disconnect the battery 10 seconds then reconnect and do that 3 times I asked him do I need to stand on one foot while doing it... Anyway I got pissed and said what the hell I am down here messing with all of the fuses I might as well install the CLS and si I did, Started it and it sayd Pull key wait 10 seconds and I thought shit so I did, Pull the key and wait 10 seconds and fired it back up and it works great no more shut off and no more service column lock error...

For just $51 total including shipping this works great... I wish somebody had told me about this before....

Thank you..

Reply to
ZÿRiX