1998 Dodge Grand caravan 3.3

Replaced belt tensioner within teh last year. It did not fix the squel... through a lot fo troubleshooting and some just luck.. I seen after washing the engine capartment out thet the squel went away. I initially thought that the belts must have been dirty. Well I seen what I think to be the cause. When I stoped at home I left it running because the squel had returned. I opend the hood and while I was observing I seen the tensioner go to the loose side about 1/8 to 1/4 inch and walla the squel stopped. This was an autozone part. Should I replace the tensioner again with a better quality part? The belt was also new at the replacement last time. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Christopher Pine

Donald Mac Donald

If you no you have a tensioner problem then you will have to replace it. I use only Mopar parts. The squealing went away because the water lubed the belt. The belt normally squeals because it hits the side of the P/S pump pulley rather then running on the pulling straight

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Hello Glenn! I have used your advice before. I looked at the venicle some more yesterday. I can see the tensioner is sittinf with a slight angle to teh belt. This I am assumming is not correct and if the pully was straight the squelling perhaps would not be happening? I think my next step is to go get dealer part. I appreciate your help as I did before on other issues. I will let you know what the new part looks like after installed.

Chris

Reply to
cpine522

Sounds like a plan!!

Reply to
maxpower

Well replaced with the mopar part.... $75. It seemded better but still had squel some. So took belt back off and and scrubed everything... all the pullies and the belt as well. Cleaned it all up and runs quite again. I see that the pully for the power steering pump is a (plastic) nylon material. I do believe that is what was making all the noise.Well I wonder if it was just the cleaning that was needed. But regardless no looking back I am so happy it runs quite again. Thanks for your tips!

By the way I need a vent window motor for the left hand side. What does an expert call this? I have the old one removed in my hand... there are many numbers on it.. which one os part number....

Thanks again! Chris

Reply to
cpine522

If the noise was still there when you put the new elt on, it will come back. If this vehicle ever had a P/S pump replaced there is a good chance that the pulley may not be on far enough or on to far causing this.

Its called a vent motor. those numbers are no good and expect to pay about $90 for the part

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks again for your help! I got another vent motor from salvage...

Reply to
Christopher Pine