Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 belt installation

Hi, I have a 1999 GC SE with the 3.3 engine. The serpentine belt has come off more times than I care to count, usually after hitting a water puddle and having is splash up on the engine. I've paid numerous towing and repair fees. What I'm wanting to know is, is there a way to do this myself without having to have the thing up on a rack? Seems the last mechanic didn't put it on a rack, and being on vacation and in a hurry, I didn't think to ask him about it. If I have to buy a tool, that's fine. It beats having to pay out so much each time it comes off. Not sure why it was coming off. It was cracked and worn some, but didn't think it was all that bad. I had it replaced the last time. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Brian

Reply to
Brian O

You don't say how many miles as this information would be helpful. In any event, I'd suggest that you replace the automatic tensioner and the idler too while you are in there. Replace the belt as well as it likely was damaged when it came off. Check the alignment of all the other moving components too (alternator, power steering, etc.) The first mechanic should have suggested replacement of the tensioner. This job is not too difficult and is easy if you follow the Factory Service manual procedure. Even without the manual, it is pretty easy to figure out what to do if you buy the replacements to see what they look like.

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
jim cronin

what do you mean by replace the entire front mount?? B

I took it in the first time and they replaced the idler arm, at least they said they did.

Reply to
Brian O

It's coming off because the tensioner is not straight. They get like that. You should replace it.

THE ANSWER to your QUESTION: The best possible tool for putting that belt back on is a long offset box-end wrench. At least it was on my 92 3.3L. I got a Craftsman that was

13mm box on one end and 15mm box on the other. The offset made it fit the job better. It's long, and you need the extra leverage. I could put the belt on with no problem.

Reply to
Joe

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between the tensioner and the idler arm? B

Reply to
Brian O