2005 Grand Caravan Sliding Door Problem

My Grand Caravan Sliding door is having issues. When the button is pushed it pops open goes a few inches than stops. If I open it and hit the button again it closes about 3/4 of the way and just stops. I have been doing some internet research which says I may have a broken wire on the plastic track on the bottom of the door. Can I remove this track and repair the wire or do I have to go to a dealer and have a new one installed. From my understanding these things are not cheap. Thanks in advance.

John Lillge

Reply to
dei_rip

John the first thing to do is disconnect the harness behind the B-Post and at the other end under the door. Using a volt meter set to Ohms check each wire for continuity from one end to the other. You may find that one of the ground wires has broken. Yes you can open the track and solder in a new wire or purchase a new harness. Not sure about the price but if I had to guess, under $100.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks Glenn, I was told it was in the $300 range. Guess that person was wrong. I'm a handy guy so this sounds like a fun project for me. Do you know of any problematic areas I might encounter (Weird connectors, different type screws, etc.)

Reply to
dei_rip

Not really, Pull back the weather strip on the b-post at the sliding door and you will see how to pull back the b-post panel to access the connector. If you are mechanically inclined you can get it done

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Great, thanks again. I'll let you know how it worked out.

Reply to
dei_rip

I already know how it is gonna work out, your gonna say Glenn, I found a broken black wire in the harness and it is fixed

Reply to
maxpower

Warranty?

Reply to
Dan C

Reply to
maxpower

Now that's a good question..... 3/36 Dei_rip?

Reply to
maxpower

Wish I found a broken wire....

Pulled the harness out which was real easy. Tested it all and it worked fine. Stumped. I then tried it again after I reinstalled the harness and part of my post was wrong. It does not pop out than go a few inches. It pops out and stops dead. Closing goes until about 10 inches to close and stops. My wife thought she had an issue one time with the child safety lock. I looked and it was positioned toward the vehicle which is where it says it needs to be to engage. I put it in the disengage position and nothing changed. I pulled the stop switch apart and all looks normal there. Could it be an issue with the rear latch?

Reply to
dei_rip

46000 miles--->[Sad Face]
Reply to
dei_rip

Reply to
D&LBusch

If you had the same exact problem as dei_rip I don't think you had the motor replaced. And if they did replace the motor they also replaced the latch assembly because that is the fix for your problem

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
maxpower

If the door just pops open without moving at all, the door latch itself is the problem. When you said it popped open and moved....that is normally because the wire in the track has separated and stopped the door completely. Make sure all wires in the track harness are not broken.This is NOT a motor problem. As far as the child safety feature, that will only effect the inside door operation and will NOT have any effect on opening the door from the outside.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn, My passenger side sliding door sometimes does as you describe, "Unlatch but not open". What exactly is that problem and how do I fix it?

TIA and happy holidays all Pete

Reply to
pcapitain

With out looking at it I can tell you this, if the door pops open and moves then stops it is normally a broken wire in the track harness. If the door just pops without moving, it is normally a latch problem.read my other post on how to check the harness

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks Glenn The door just pops without moving. It happens about half of the times I command the door to open ( by clicker, not 'open sesamee'). Is this a "just replace the latch" repair, or "adjust and clean the latch" issue? I don't feel its a harness problem because the sliding door motor doesn't appear to kick in. I'll check the harness to eliminate it. I'm concerned with what part of the latch (a complicated mechanism from the picture in the service manual) is a problem. How does this problem manifest itself in the latch?

TIA Pete

Reply to
pcapitain

Once again, without montitoring the power door with a scan tool the most common problem for you issue is a latch assembly, you can not purchase any parts for this latch. you purchase it complete. If the the door does not know what position it is in (closed/open) when you hit the botton it will not open. The switches and sensors are all part of the latch.

Glenn

Reply to
damnnickname

Well, just got my Caravan back from the dealer. They replaced the wiring harness. $185.15 with tax. Thanks for all the input.

Reply to
dei_rip

Then is was a broken wire in the track and a cut and reinstall one wire would have fixed it if you were to do it yourself

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower