What's the deal with Toyota's door hinges that won't keep the door open?

I swear I love Toyota but their door hinges absolutely suck.

The doors just won't stay open. I can park facing down hill and the door will still creep back and hit the leg of anyone entering or exiting the vehicle.

I've owned both sedans and trucks. Same deal.

It's like the door hinges just won't keep the door open because the door either bounces or rolls past the point where a normal door would "lock" and it closes on you.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Reply to
Ouch

I swear I love Toyota but their door hinges absolutely suck.

The doors just won't stay open. I can park facing down hill and the door will still creep back and hit the leg of anyone entering or exiting the vehicle.

I've owned both sedans and trucks. Same deal.

It's like the door hinges just won't keep the door open because the door either bounces or rolls past the point where a normal door would "lock" and it closes on you.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

The doors on my 2010 Prius have two glide detents, one at half-open, one at full-open. I just tested them and it takes moderate pressure to move the door off either detent. The half-open detent doesn't permit one to get in or out easily. Sometimes parking spaces are so tight as to not permit letting the door settle into the full-open detent and that presents a problem on windy days. Otherwise, I've not had a problem with my car and find it comparable to other makes and models I've owned.

Reply to
Al Falfa

nope.

You mean the hinge itself acts like it has a spring-closed action?

Never seen it.

The door check should catch that, regardless.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty