91 dodge Spirit AC problem

Hello All,

I just bought a 91 P. Acclaim (Dodge spirit) with 2.5 L engine. I know the AC compressor was seized up. I changed the compressor. and put in

3x12 oz 134a gas.

Now, the compressor works however, I don't get cold air in the car. My observation is that AC gas does not circulate. After the gas becomes liquid, something keeps the liquid from reaching evaporator.

My test: after I run AC for 5 minutes (no problem on clutch engaging), I stop the car and loosen the low pressure side adaptor bolts on compressor. Nothing leaks out. I put it back, and then loosen high pressure side adaptor compressor. As I expect, the gas starts to leak out from the adaptor. I'm sure I don't leak gas.

I know some older systems use expansion valve. Where is it on this car, and is there any other place where might be clogged.

TIA, Ulas.

Reply to
uccoskun

Did you flush the system?

Did you add oil?

Did you pull a deep vacuum to 500 microns?

Where do you suppose the trash from the seized compressor went?

The TXV is at the inlet to the evaporator.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I did not flust the system. I donto know how. I jsut take the compressor out and put another one back.. Change the low side adaptor to be able to use 134a and that;s it.

I put very little oil on the high side before charging and then use

134a with oil addictive. I did not want to put too much oil since I know it is bad for compressors by experience. I believe the compressor is still ok.

I didnot pump it to a specific vacuum. I donot have vacuum. Maybe next time, I can put one can of freeon in and then let it go, that way Imight get rid ofmost ofthe air also.

I did not thought about the broken pieces of the old compressor. I believe, there is a filter like stuff between compressor and condensor. I will take it out and try to clean it by back pressurizing. I hope that cylinder like thing is a filter.

Is the expansion valve sitting on the firewall in the engine compartment? I see a black box where the hoses are attached? Can i take it out or is it welded part of a evaporator.

Thanks for the input.

aarcuda69062 wrote:

Reply to
uccoskun

You -do- know that the inside of that system HAS to be cleaner than a hospital operating room, don't you?

How could you possibly hope to get the moisture (water) out of the system? A deep vacuum isn't one of those "nice to do" things, it's mandatory if you don't want to have problems, big problems. Water can and will freeze in the TXV, a frozen TXV will starve the compressor for oil.

Will stop a piston, won't stop muck.

Needs to be replaced -after- you flush the system and add the proper amount of oil divided amongst the different components.

Yes, that's probably it. Chrysler never welded the TXV to the evaporator.

Until you make up your mind that you're going to do things right, you're wasting your time.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Was the compressor a junkyard special ??? 91 was still probably R12, At least my 92 Dodge van was. their is more to the conversion than just adding R134 Need to do a complete system flush, replace the dryer, refill with the correct amount & type of oil, evacuate the system & recharge. The amount of refridgerant added to the system is critical for best operation

Reply to
sqdancerLynn