94 caravan about to get the sludge hammer - fuel promblem

Question - i have a 94 caravan 3.3L two wheel drive. im rackin my brain here over this fuel pump promblem i am haveing. my wife go"s to leave and the van wont start. i spray it with either and it will start and then dye. so i narrowed it down to no fuel. i could not hear the pump turn on. so i pulled the pump and bench tested it and it seem to be workin just fine. so i went back to van and started to check power going back to the pump. with the pump out and a test light hooked to the power lead, it seems i was only getting hit & miss power threw the plug. then i notice the clicking of the relays. on normal start you should hear 2 clicks from the

relay box{auto trans-fuel pump relay}. when turning the key on and off, i would only get the 2 clicks and the test light to light up about 5 times out of 20. i tryed changeing relays around, tryed a different relay

from another van and still had the same result. seems the fuel pump relay does not click half the time when turning the key on. this is with the tank dropped, pump out, and all pressure released at shrader valve. i disconected the battery for about 7 min, recontected, then it seemed like everything started to work fine, so i plugged the pump in and it all seemed good. i put it all back together and the van fired up and i drove it for a about a week with no prombloms. but now it wont start again with all the same prombloms. the relay is clicking hit-miss again. at the begining i thought right away i would just have to do a fuel pump and be done with it. autozone said you have to buy the whole sending unit and they want $150. with this electrical promblom i think im haveing, i dont want to drop $150 in the tank and that not be the promblom. its been 3 days now and it still wont start. the fuel pump wont come on. so i am going to run direct power and see if it works. .may be im just over thinkin things here with the price of that pump and all, but something just dont feel right. . please help. this is our only car we have to haul the baby seats in...thanks...perry

heres a follow up on my caravan fuel promblom above. -- i pulled the fuel pump relay out and ran a jumper wire to the terminals and the fuel pump came on. so i put it all back together, and now the stupid thing is sitting in the driveway starting and running fine. but i still cant let my wife drive it because i did not fix a thing. i did all this last week and it ran for about 4-5 days, then left her stranded.

Reply to
pperry

When you turn the key to the start/run position you only have 3 seconds of battery voltage at the fuel pump. (designed that way) If you are having a fuel pump problem and you remove it from the car and bench test it it may test good at that time. When a problem like this comes into the shop all we do is smack the bottom of the tank to get it going again. When the problem happens again have someone turn the key to the start postion while you are at the pump and test for battery voltage and a good ground. If you have those and still no pump replace it!! Also it is very dangerous to bench test a fuel pump. Not a good habbit to get into.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname