97 Intrepid Overheating

Having problem with a 97 Intrepid. Sometimes you can drive it for miles without problem. Then maybe the next day drive it for only 5 miles and it over heats. Have replaced the rad. thermostat, pressure cap. and have bled it out many times. It can go several weeks with no problem. Or it might get hot everyday for a week. Cannot find any leaks or how air seems to be getting into the system sometimes. The engine has about

150,000 miles but well taken care of. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks for any info.
Reply to
Kerzz

You mention nothing about the radiator fan. When does it overheat......city slow moving traffic or high way speeds or both?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The fans seem to be working and comming on when they are suppose to. It has overheated in city traffic and also on the highway at speeds. Thanks

Reply to
Kerzz

Ok so what you are saying is when the problem is happening (overheating) you pop the hood and the fan is running? and when the fan is running is there hot or cold air coming from the fan. Are you adding fluid or seeing it spill out by the overflow bottle?

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

The fan is running when it overheats. Do you mean the air comming out of the vents? Most of time it's warm. But a few times it has been cool air. It does lose the fluids out of the over flow. But have always filled it back up and bled it out. Do you think that stuff like "wet water" or whatever it's called that is suppose to lower your water temp works? AutoZone thought I should try it out to see if it runs cooler. Thanks again for you ideas and help.

Reply to
Kerzz

air/fuel problem. If the injectors is bad, or somehow it sprays too much fule, It will also end up overheating/running hot. I still think you have a air in the system/ bad radiotor grill problem.

Reply to
uccoskun

When I say pop the hood that means the radiator fan. When the fan turns on under the hood is it blowing warm/hot air across the radiator or is it cold air

Reply to
maxpower

The air feels warm but not hot. Drove it today about 25 miles with no problem and the temp here was 80. Drove it 8 miles last week and it overheated and the air temp was around 30. So have more problems with it when the weather is cooler.

Reply to
Kerzz

That makes really no sense to me. you may want to have someone with a scan tool see what the values of the coolant sensor is.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower